Chapter 82

Milky Way/Widow System/Serpent Nebula/SSV Nomad

Earth year: 2186 CE --- January

"What's going on sir?" Mason asked from his chair in the cockpit. "You haven't said anything since we left Hagalaz."

"I'm not sure Chief." Kaidan admitted, his back pressed into the wall while he stared out the Nomad's external view screen. "Anderson received a disturbing message from Kahlee Sanders and wants us to follow up. He didn't want it going through Alliance channels. He has reason to believe Alliance comm buoys are being monitored."

"What? Since when?"

"He can't be certain, but he's pretty sure it's been going on for several months."

"Well, shit."

"Who do you think is behind it Commander?" Tanner asked as they dropped out of FTL and she plotted a course for the Petra Nebula.

"My guess is it's Cerberus. I don't know who else would have resources for something like that aside from the Shadow Broker."

"Good point." Tanner nodded. "ETA with the Academy in ten minutes sir."

"Understood Lieutenant." Kaidan said, straightening. "I'm heading to the airlock now. You and Mason stay with the ship."

"Aye, aye."

Milky Way/Petra Nebual/Vetus/Grissom Academy

"Commander Alenko." Kahlee frowned on seeing him. "It's unfortunate we have to keep meeting like this."

"Agreed. What's going on Kahlee? Anderson seemed worried when I spoke to him." He said as she closed the door behind him.

"With good reason." She replied, taking a seat. "Remember the girl Cerberus tried to kidnap two years ago?"

"Uh..." Kaidan began, his mind whirling. "You mean Gillian Grayson?"

"Yes." She nodded. "Her father instigated the entire incident, but then helped Anderson and I stop Cerberus from getting hold of her. Then he disappeared."

"I remember."

"Well he contacted me about a month ago, then sent me a massive data file on Cerberus. He was supposed to meet me at a secret location a week ago, but never showed."

"That doesn't sound good."

"It gets worse." She continued, her frown deepening. "I've heard rumours someone on Omega was murdered recently."

"Murder? Isn't murder an odd thing for Omega to report? How'd you hear about it?"

"It seems whoever it was had connections to Aria. I couldn't find any other details, all my usual channels have been closed off. No one's talking."

"I see." Kaidan replied, confused by what she was telling him. "If he's dead or Cerberus got to him, I'm not sure what you want me to do here."

"I need you to go to Omega. Talk to Aria. Find out what happened."

"Aria T'Loak?" Dammit, he had no desire to see that woman again. He wanted to see Shepard. He still didn't know where she was or if she was safe.

Kahlee gave him a half-smile. "Anderson told me you received some upsetting news recently." She began. "But I'm sure Shepard will be fine. I need you to do this for me Commander, I'm worried Cerberus might be planning to come after the students here. I don't have anyone else I can ask."

"I understand Kahlee." Kaidan sighed. "My team and I will head there right away."

"Thank you Kaidan. I know it's not what you want to be doing right now."