Chapter 74

Milky Way/Crescent Nebula/Tasale/Illium

Earth year: 2185 CE --- November

Callie ordered Joker to Illium after they'd dropped David Archer off at Grissom Academy.

Though Illium reminded her of Liara, she had no desire to go to Omega and see Aria, nor did she want to visit the Citadel and be reminded how the Alliance had betrayed her after her death. Which left Illium or the Normandy.

After what she'd seen on Aite, knowing she was with those responsible... she had to get off the ship. After giving everyone a stern lecture about not signing anything or causing any kind of trouble, she left the ship. She needed space. Time to think without the crew watching her and wondering how she was doing. After Horizon, the Collector ship, Liara and David Archer, she felt like everyone on board was just waiting for her to crack up.

No one talked about the missions they'd been on. It was so unlike the first Normandy that all it did was make her uncertain and less sure about what she was doing. Stopping at a kiosk on the trading floor, she purchased a pair of dark pants, a plain white shirt and black hoodie. She wanted out of the Cerberus uniform, and as much anonymity as she could get.

It wouldn't stop people who knew her from recognizing her, but at last she wouldn't look like a giant neon sign that said attack me while in her armour. After changing, she sent everything she'd been wearing back to the ship via messenger, keeping only a sidearm and her omni-tool for protection.

Satisfied, she headed to Eternity Bar and a much-needed drink. Ignoring the curious looks she got from Aethyta who recognized her instantly, she settled into a booth at the back of the room, far from prying eyes.

They hadn't had the Peruvian whiskey she preferred in stock, so she chose a Full Biotic Kick instead. It wasn't a favourite nor was it very good, but it was strong, and right now she needed something strong.

A commotion near the bar drew her attention and she looked up trying to see what was going on. Some guy who looked vaguely familiar was arguing with Aethyta. He was getting progressively louder, drawing the attention of the other patrons. Craning her neck to get a better view, she groaned.

Heaving a tired sigh, she shot back her drink in one motion and approached the bar.

"You're holding out on me? I'm a man on the edge! I learned to shove a gun in people's faces by..." He turned and nearly swallowed his tongue when his eyes landed on Callie. "...Commander Shepard?"

"Conrad." Callie greeted. "Why are you acting like me?"

"Hey," Aethyta growled. "Do you know this idiot? Can you reign him in before I slap his ass with a Singularity?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Conrad retorted. "I'm nothing like you. I'm not a Spectre, I don't work for the Council. The galaxy needed a hero, someone like you to fight for humanity. And then you died."

"Where did you get that armour?" Callie asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, they make pretty good replicas nowadays." He said, dropping his feigned attitude. "They can be pretty expensive, but my wife helped me get most of it. She even helped pay for my flight off-world."

"So what are you doing here?"

"Well, I was talking to the weapons merchant and she told me this place was a front for a red sands dealer. I need to get the deed to the bar to shut them down."

"What?" Aethyta barked. "First of all crap for brains, red sand is legal on Illium, second this place is a bar and we can sell red sand legally."

"I'll look into this." Callie assured her. "Stay here Conrad."