Chapter 42

Milky Way/Crescent Nebula/Tasale/Illium

Earth year: 2185 CE --- August

Callie turned to head up to Liara's office as Tali and Miranda disappeared from view, when she heard her name being called.

"Shepard? Is that you?" Said a dark, smartly dressed woman in her 30's. "Gianna Parasini, Internal Affairs. You probably don't remember me. You helped me on Noveria two years ago."

"I remember." Callie said, joining Gianna at her table. "How's Administrator Anoleis?"

"He's in a high level prison for white collar crimes. The Executive Board didn't take it well, but the best part is, he'll never work in the sector again. So what happened Shepard? I thought you were dead. No wait, don't tell me. You'd probably just have to lie. What brings you to Illium or can you talk about it?"

"You've heard of the Collectors? They're abducting entire human colonies. I'm going to stop them."

"Damn Shepard. A tough day on the job for me involves a lot of paperwork. Hey, if I remember right, I owe you a beer." She said, signalling the waitress.

"So how have you been Gianna?"

"I'm good." Gianna said, suddenly nervous as she rose and stepped away from the table. "Hey, I just remembered something. Gotta run. And hey, don't forget to drink your beer."

Frowning, Callie lifted the beer and found a hidden note. After reading it, she headed over to talk to a nearby kiosk owner to question the sales rep about top of the line mods. As the asari finished describing what she had, Gianna reappeared, interrupting her.

"That's because it's not available yet." Gianna smirked.

"Parasini!" The asari cried. "But this isn't Noveria! You can't arrest me!"

"I don't have to. Attempting to steal something that isn't available is illegal. Even on Illium."

"Can't she still sell the blueprints to someone else?" Callie asked.

"We suspected she might be dealing in stolen technology so we leaked a fake design to her.  All this thing will do is blow up in your face." Gianna said, unable to keep from gloating.

"I...I have to go. I need speak to my lawyer." The asari said, storming off.

"Talk fast Hermia!" Gianna shouted. "By the time the fines hit you won't be able to afford him. Thanks Shepard. Come by my table when you've got a minute."

With an amused shrug, Callie followed Gianna and once again sat down at her table.

"I love nailing asari." Gianna said with a satisfied smile. "So ageless and superior, then you get them and they squeal like schoolgirls."

"You love it don't you?"

"It's good. I grew up poor and couldn't afford much. Then I got this job and found I had a talent for it. White collar crime is perfect for me. Wanted to be a cop, but needed the money a corporate job could offer. Plus, I don't have trouble sleeping at night."

"Sounds like you found your calling." Callie said, sipping her beer.

"It's great." Gianna agreed. "You get to go new places, be new people. Only trouble is, sometimes you forget how to act when the job's over."

"It was good seeing you again Gianna, but I should get back to it. Take care of yourself." Callie said, getting to her feet.

Gianna stood. "You too Shepard. See you around the galaxy."

Callie turned to leave the market district when she heard her name being called for a second time. Thinking Gianna might have forgotten something, she searched the crowd but saw nothing until she met the eyes of an asari who was watching her with interest.

"Commander Shepard?"

"Do I know you ?" Callie asked walking over to her.

"No, but I recognized you." She said. "I guess you could say I saw your... aura. You have a presence about you. I would recognize you anywhere."

"Okay, so you said you wanted to talk to me?"

"I have a message for you from a friend you made on Noveria." She said, her voice dropping in tone as her eyes turned white. "Shepard. We fight, we hide and we remember. Thank you for all you have done for us. We will not forget how you saved us."

Callie realized the message was from the Rachni Queen, the one she'd released on Noveria more than two years ago. She listened as the asari told her the rachni had saved her life, repaired her ship and were making a new home away from the known races of the galaxy. She then assured Callie that she wasn't being controlled by the queen and the rachni had given her a new purpose and she was at peace with it. She then said the Rachni Queen believed Shepard was now hunting those who had caused the Rachni wars over a thousand years ago.

"You believe her?" Callie asked.

"They are gentle creatures Shepard. You did the galaxy a great service when you let her go. The galaxy owes you a great debt for preventing their extinction. They are a non-violent race and I believe that they were forced into war with the other races of the galaxy." She said.

"Well thank you for the message." Callie said. "I'm glad my friend on Noveria is doing well."

"Goodbye Commander Shepard." The asari said, moving away. "You will not see me again."

Callie watched her go and stood immobile as she thought about what the Rachni Queen believed. If the queen was right, then the Reapers had used the rachni as a slave race, forcing them into war to further their goals.

On the heels of that thought, she wondered just how many people from her past were hanging out on Illium. Would she turn a corner and run into someone else?

Callie shook her head. She wasn't sure she wanted to know. She still had to talk to Liara and two more recruits to track down. Any one of them could end up leading her straight into someone else from her past.

It was all just a little surreal. It made her feel off-balance. Almost as though she hadn't really been gone or missed the past year two years of her life.