Chapter 12

Milky Way/Serpent Nebula/Widow System/Citadel

Earth year: 2183 CE --- May

Garrus took his time heading back to Zakera Ward and Flux. He was stunned by what Anderson had told him. It was so unlike Kaidan it gave Garrus a sick feeling in his gut, like a foreboding of tragedy. He prayed to the Spirits that Anderson found him before it was too late.

Heaving a worried sigh, he entered Flux where the music blared loudly from overhead speakers and holographic lights flashed above the packed dance floor. Interment bells and whistles could be heard within the cacophony coming from the gambling machines above. It was enough to give anyone a headache if they stayed there long enough, he mused.

He scanned the crowd of people where every table was packed and the dance floor barely had enough space left for the patrons to move. The crowds above drank heartily as they waited for a gambling console to become available, laughing and talking loudly with their companions. How in Spirit's name was he going to find Moreau in this mess?

He moved closer to the bar to avoid getting bumped by the other patrons and the short-staffed servers as they worked the crowd. He didn't take Joker to be much of a gambler, the guy had a terrible poker face, so what was he doing here? Maybe he was more of a happy drunk? That would leave bar stools, likely near the washrooms Garrus reasoned, since Joker wouldn't want to risk having to push through the crowd of people given his bone condition. Combined with alcohol, the man would be a walking accident waiting to happen.

Pushing through the crowd as gently as he could, Garrus made slow but steady progress toward the row of stools down the bar, scanning the people seated there as he went. Sure enough, his instincts had been right as he spotted Joker near the end, the closest seat he could get nearest the washrooms. He was hunched over a glass he gripped with both hands – he didn't appear to be talking to anyone or even aware of anything around him.

Garrus stopped to order a drink before moving closer, nodding to the bartender that he would be heading to the only vacant chair beside Joker. The bartender frowned as he followed Garrus' look, giving him a raised eyebrow and a shrug in response, before nodding his understanding. That was telling, Garrus thought as he continued pushing through the crowd to Joker. With a look like that, Joker must be well-known by the establishment and it didn't seem very positive.

"Lieutenant." Garrus said, sliding into the seat.

Joker turned bleary, bloodshot eyes in his direction, a look of confusion marring his features.

"Garrush?" He slurred with a frown. "What are YOU doing here?"

"Having a drink with an old friend."

"Pshhst." Joker huffed. "Old friend huh? More like Anderson told you where to find me. That guy just doesn't understand the word no."

"Don't know what you're talking about Lieutenant. I just got back from the Far Rim and thought I'd stop in for a drink. Then I saw you and thought you might like some company."

"You?" Joker laughed. "Drinking? With me? Oh now I KNOW I'm hallucinating. With that pole up your ass I wasn't sure you could even sit, never mind drink."

"How many have you had Lieutenant?" Garrus said, ignoring the  insult.

"What day is it?"

"That many huh?"

"Look Garrus. Whatever it is you want, I'm not interested okay? I already told Anderson. I don't want to fly a different ship. I want MY ship." Joker said sulkily, gulping the last of his drink and gesturing for a refill.

"I'm not here about the Alliance Joker." Garrus said, catching his eye. "I'm here as a friend."

"A friend." Joker scowled. "I don't have friends Garrus. I have crew, er... HAD a crew till that stupid alien ship blew up the Normandy."

"That's not true and you know it. We weren't just Shepard's crew. We were all much more than that Joker."

"I..." Joker's face fell in confusion. "No, but I miss her."

"The Normandy was a great ship." Garrus agreed.

"That's not what I meant Garrus." Joker said, his eyes watering.

"We all miss her Joker. But she wouldn't like seeing you like this."

"Look." Joker began, swiping angrily at his eyes. "I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but don't pretend we're friends. I know everyone hates me and blames me for what happened to Shepard."

"That's not true either." Garrus said, slamming his glass down on the bar. "Shepard did what she always did – saved everyone and sacrificed herself. If not for you keeping the Normandy under control, a lot more people would have died."

Joker sniffed, avoiding Garrus' eyes. "That's what Anderson said."

"You think Anderson was lying?"

"No. No, he wasn't lying. I just... I can't stop thinking about it. It just feels like it's all my fault."

"That's not true Lieutenant."

"I know, I know... it's just. Oh hell. You're right Garrus. Shepard would kick my ass if she saw me like this."

"She would."

"Alright. Fine. If you're saying it and Anderson is saying it and the Alliance isn't bringing me up on misconduct charges, I guess I'm just being pathetic."

"It's not pathetic to grieve Joker." Garrus said watching Joker push his drink away.

"I know but... well, hell. I've been giving this a lot of thought. Shepard might be gone, but I owe it to her to at least try right?"

"I think we all do."Garrus agreed finishing his drink. "Would you be insulted if I offered to help get you to a cab?"

"Hell no. If you wouldn't mind. I'd rather not make another trip to the hospital this month."

"This month?"

"Yeah." Joker said, ducking his eyes as they made for the exit. "I fell a few times, broke a few bones. No big deal, but the staff at the hospital is starting to remember my name."

"Ah." Garrus said nodding his understanding as his mandibles clicked in amusement.

"Say, are you sticking around for a while Garrus?" Joker asked as his shuttle arrived.

"In a week I will be."Garrus said, helping him inside. "I have some business to take care of off the station first, then I'll be back working for C-Sec in Zakera Ward."

"Wow. So you're really going back?" Joker was surprised. "I mean, I know you promised Shepard and all, but after Saren... well, I thought you might want something different."

"Haven't thought that far ahead Lieutenant." Garrus admitted. "But I promised Shepard I'd try and that's what I'm going to do."

"Well good for you Garrus. I know Shepard would be proud of you."

"Thanks Joker."

"Right. Well, look me up when you get back. It would be nice to keep in touch."

"Count on it Lieutenant."