Chapter 41

Milky Way/Crescent Nebula/Tasale/Illium

Earth year: 2185 CE --- August

Callie, Miranda and Tali were greeted on Illium by a formal looking asari. She was followed by an armed escort of LOKI mechs as they left the docking platform. She greeted Callie by name and welcomed them to Illium, letting them know that all fees had been paid by the information broker, Liara T'Soni.

Callie was startled by the mention of Liara, but was quick to hide her reaction. The asari went on to caution them against signing anything while there since indentured servitude was legal in Illium. Callie was surprised by this given what she knew of the asari, but kept it to herself.

Knowing Liara was aware she was on Illium made her feel off-balance as they thanked the asari and made their way to the market floor. With a shake of her head, she decided against seeing Liara before helping Miranda with her sister. It wasn't that she didn't want to see her, she just wasn't eager to see Liara's reaction to her return.

"I have a message for Ms. Lawson." EDI said over the comm as they passed through the visitor information hall. "Your contact wants me to tell you that she will meet you in a back room of the Eternity Bar."

"Thank you EDI." Miranda said sharing a look with Shepard.

----xxx----

"Who's Niket?" Callie asked, catching Miranda's eye after they'd spoken with her contact.

"He's a friend." Miranda said. "The only one I had left after I escaped my father."

"Are you sure changing our plans now is a good idea?"

"I trust Niket. He wouldn't betray me."

"She's your sister Miranda." Callie said. "We'll follow whatever plan you want."

"Let's just get to this meeting Shepard. If Eclipse is involved, we need to hurry."

----xxx----

Eclipse mercs swarmed the loading dock as they made their way to the meeting place in a rented shuttle.

Miranda spoke to the mercs as they stepped out of the craft. "Since you're not firing, I assume you know who I am."

"I know who you are and that you kidnapped a little girl from her father." The man replied, his tone cold.

"Kidnapped?" Miranda scoffed. "I suggest you take your men and walk away now. This doesn't concern you."

"Look lady, I got no problem taking you out. I was told to give you a chance to walk away, so do it and no one will get hurt."

"Miranda wait." Callie said, catching her arm. "I thought you said Oriana was your twin?"

"We share identical DNA Shepard, but she's not a child. She's almost a grown woman."

"Is that what this bitch told you?" The merc laughed. "Walk away lady, before this gets ugly."

"We're not walking away." Callie said, turning to face him.

"You think you're dealing with me? While we've been talking, my men have been lining up shots and..."

As he stepped closer, Callie grabbed him and snapped his neck before targeting a cargo of fuel hanging above the remaining mercs. In moments, they had cleared the room and were on an elevator to the cargo bay. As they stepped off the elevator, they heard a woman's voice through a discarded headset.

"Just hold them back." The voice barked. "Niket's got the kid and is almost at the transport station. He'll handle the exchange."

"Niket?" Miranda stammered. "But that would mean..."