Haunted

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for being so patient with me these last two weeks. I know it's taken me a while to update, but I'm finally back and can't wait for you to read this chapter! Thanks so much for all your support! I love you guys! Enjoy the chapter!

Steve's POV.

Steve was lying in bed staring at the ceiling he looked towards the lock. 2:30am. Steve sighed and looked back to the ceiling. He couldn't sleep. Suddenly he felt movement to his left. He turned his head to see a beautiful woman turning on her side facing him. She was deep asleep. Steve smiled as he gazed upon her.

Peggy and Steve had been married now for about 1 month. It had been the best decision he had ever made. She was perfect. He adored her.

He reached out slowly and caressed her arm softly, so as not to wake her. Her skin was like silk. He slowly and carefully went up and took some of her beautiful brown locks in between his fingers. Her hair was so soft and framed her face beautifully. He began to look at her gorgeous sleeping face. She looked like a princess out of a story book. He gently caressed her cheek with the back of his fingers. She began to move. He reluctantly pulled his hand away. She needed her sleep. He did not want to wake her. She surprisingly snuggled up next to him. He smiled and put his arm around her.

As he laid there his mind began to wonder. He was so blessed to finally have her as his own. If anyone would have told him this a year ago he wouldn't have believed them at all. For, just a year ago he thought Peggy was dead. A chill ran up his spine thinking about it. That dream. It was so real. So authentic. As he thought about it, he began to think about all his friends that he would never see again. How could his mind make up such a technical, real world? Was it possible?

He saw things that were so complex. Cars, cell phones, GPS's. He had made up complex characters and story lines. Even Steve was not that creative. Was it really a dream? Could it have been real? Or was it just a dream? Steve sighed heavily.

Apparently Peggy heard because she stretched and began to caress Steve's cheek. He looked down at her. "Hi." She said sweetly. "Hi." He smiled trying to hide what he was thinking about. "What's wrong?" She asked. She always knew. Steve turned his face back to the ceiling. "Nothin' just can't sleep that's all."

She leaned up to look at him. He looked back at her. "Your lying. I know you. What is it?" She asked. "Honey, it's nothing. Now go back to sleep." He said sweetly.

She shook her head and raised an eyebrow at him. "I know when's your lying Captain Rogers." She said she leaned over and turned on the bedside light. He squinted. She continued. "I know you almost as well as I know myself. Now.... what's up." She said sitting up enthusiastically. Steve smiled and laughed at her. "Peggy. Honey. I'm fine. Honest." He told her.

She shook her head. "No your not. Steve please tell me. You know you can tell me anything right?" She locked eyes with him. He sighed. "I know." She put a hand on his arm. "There is something wrong then? Isn't there." He sighed and looked down. "Why don't you tell me then?" "Peggy. Because you wouldn't understand! No one would! Only I do." He snapped. She looked hurt.

"Oh Peg...I'm sorry. It's just that. This is something I've had to go through alone." He said gently. She looked at him sweetly. "But you don't have to be alone anymore." She put her hand on his. He looked down. At her wedding ring. "Remember? For better or worse? In sickness and in health. Till death do us part." Steve nodded. "I do." She smiled. "I do to." "Okay fine. I'll tell you." She smiled triumphantly.

They both sat up on the bed. "Shoot." "Do you remember when I was in a coma?" "Of course. I could never forget something like that." She looked solum. "Right, well while I was in the coma...I had a dream." She nodded. "That's not rare. Most people have some sort of odd dream in those cases." "Yeah, but this dream...it wasn't- I mean it didn't feel-It felt so....real." Peggy furrowed her eye brows. "I see. What was the dream about? May I ask?"

Steve sighed. "Well it's kinda hard to explain. It's not that simple. You see...I made up a total different world that I lived in for 3 years. Or at least it felt like three years." He explained. She looked at him with confusion on her face and shook her head. "I don't understand..."

"In my...dream I woke up in a room just like the one I woke up in a year ago, but you weren't there instead...I was alone. There was a radio going, playing a baseball game. It was from a little bit before I joined the army. A woman came in and welcomed me back explaining that I had been a sleep, but she didn't say how long. I finally realized that everything was fake. I ran out of the building and ran down a hallway.

When I got outside everything looked different. They're were futuristic cars driving down the street and people who were dressed in odd close, but not real odd. Building 16 stories high all around me and on the building were video advertisements! A man stopped me from running and told me I had been a sleep for 70 years."

Peggy sat there speechless. "So....you dreamed that you went to the future..." "Yes, but there's more. I had to get used to the world. I lived in an apartment building alone. The organization that was helping me get used to the world was called SHIELD not the SSR anymore. They brought me boxes full of files. I looked through them. I found out that we won the war and I was still in the USA. I also looked at all our friends old files. Everyone was dead, from old age. Except for Howard and....you." He looked up at her.

"Howard...he had been killed. Murdered. And you...you were retired. As soon as I found out I went to see you. You were old, but just as beautiful as the day I met you. You also had dementia. When you saw me you cried and told me how you thought I was dead. We talked and you told me that you had gotten married. And wait for this...You had gotten married to Daniel...Sousa." Peggy's mouth dropped open.

"Surly if I wouldn't have been found...you know you would have married him." She sat there speechless. "You told me you had two kids. One named Sarah and the other named...Steve. I was heart broken, but glad that you lived your life. You told me to move on and live my life and that you would always love me. Through the next 3 years I struggled moving on. I couldn't live without you.

I joined a team of people like me. Unique people with special abilities, called the Avengers. We saved the world multiple times and I made amazing friends. One of whom was Howard's son. Tony Stark. Later we found out that SHIELD was HYDRA and Bucky...he had been rescued and brainwashed by them. I finally got him back.

One day all the Avengers including me, were kind of arguing and....I got a message that you....that...you had...passed away." She gasped and put her hand on his. "Oh Steve, darling." "I felt like my heart had broken and that I couldn't go on. I went to your funeral Peggy. I carried your casket! I sat through the service. You were gone.

After all that The Avengers split for a lot of stupid reasons. We had a civil war. My half of the team had to go into hiding. I had already made amends with Tony. Everything was finally going to be okay. Except I missed you terribly. I went to sleep on e night and heard you talking to me. I thought I was dreaming. When I woke up....you were there crying on me."

"Steve that's awful." "Yeah. I was so happy to know that you weren't dead and that everything was a dream, but Peggy....it didn't feel like a dream. I've gone over it in my head multiple times. Peggy...what if it wasn't just a dream?" He asked. She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Look I've seen a lot of weird things before. What if somehow it was real?" "Steve I can assure you. You were in that room the whole time. "Okay I know, but what if it was...a vision into the future? What if...the tesseract had something to do with it?" He asked. "I guess, but Steve. There's no way of knowing for sure. I think it's best if you...move on." He sighed.

"I know. I know. I just...I miss them and I'd like to think that they're real I suppose." She smiled at him understandingly. "I know. Who knows maybe they are, but we won't know until Howard has a son. Or until the SSR is changed into..." "SHIELD." "Right SHIELD. You can't let it haunt you. And look I'm here now. You don't have to worry anymore." He nodded. "And I know you miss your friend Steve. I miss him to, but Bucky wouldn't want you to be going through this."

"I know. I love you." "I love you too. Promise me something though." "Okay what?" "Promise me that you'll tell me if something is bothering you. Don't keep secrets from me. I'm your wife. And your my husband. We need to be honest to each other." "Okay." They kissed. "Alright. Let's get some sleep." She told him. She turned off the light. Steve laid down and put his arm around her. "Goodnight Peggy." "Goodnight Steve." They fell asleep.