Chapter 39: The First Date

Beginne am Anfang

I blushed at his formal words and lowered my head to try to hide my flustered face.

"Quinn, right?" Dad said, coming up behind me and extending his hand. In my peripheral, I saw the door behind him had been jammed shut with a chair as it banger, no doubt because of my brothers trying to reach the front entryway. "I'm Lina's father, Michael Dubois." Quinn took Papa's hand and shook it awkwardly.

"N-nice to meet you Mr. Dubois." He stuttered, a look of slight fear on his face. 

"You'll have her home early, correct? And no funny business." Papa said, making him blush.

 "Goodbye Papa! Love you! Be home by 10." I said, kissing his cheek quickly before grabbing Quinn's hand and leaning closely into Quinn's ear. "Unless you want to be attacked by my brothers, I suggest we run."

And with that, we ran down the hallway and towards the elevator.

"Your family certainly seems...interesting." Quinn said as we ran.

"They're a little loud...but they're everything to me." I shrugged. Quinn chuckled.

***

The dance was loud, the gymnasium dark except for the flashing lights and covered in streamers and balloons. The food was cheap, the music blaring, and the people made me feel anxious.

I was officially at a High School dance.

"Would you like to dance?" Quinn asked, offering me his hand from beside me. I raised an eyebrow and looked at the girls in the corner, looking at Quinn with a look that I immediately identified as 'screeching fan-girl'. Two of those girls had already asked Quinn to dances, which he denied them.

"Are you sure your fan club won't mind?" I asked, motioning to them. Quinn laughed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Those girls are annoying, they have this illusion of love when they don't even know me. Besides, why bother when I have you?" He asked. I sighed and nodded, throwing my empty punch cup in the recycling.

"With that kind of flirting? Who could deny?" I smiled. My cheekiness seemed to catch him off-guard, but he only smirked and lead me to the dance floor.

Just my luck that the moment we stepped onto the dance floor, a slow song began to play. I laughed at the cliché.

"Well, lucky me." He said, and he placed his hands on my waist. I followed suit, wrapping my hands around his neck as we began to sway. Dancing like this was weird, so close to another person as I let them lead. I was used to just following with the music, going with whatever my heart wanted. But this was odd and different: not being in control of my steps and having my movements planned out.

"So, Lina Dubois, tell me about yourself." Quinn said, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Pardon?" I asked.

"I mean, I don't know that much about you. I know that you dance, read a lot, have good grades, and don't hang out with people a whole lot: but that's it. Tell me more about your past, before we really met, what do you do outside of school? Did you always live in France?"

I sighed, not being used to being asked about myself. "Um, well, sure, I guess. Yes, I've always lived in France, outside of school: dancing and housework crowds my life..." not to mention fighting crime, but you can't know about that  "And, well, my past...I'm sure you've heard through gossip."

Quinn shrugged. "I heard you were in a car crash as a kid, and someone told me you were a trouble maker, which I personally can't believe so I figured everything I heard was just lies."

I had forgotten, Quinn had moved after the accident.

"I wasn't a trouble maker, I have autism. Which means that all my senses are...heightened to a point where it's like having a flashlight shined into your face 24/7 while also sitting next to a booming stereo." I explained. A look of confusion crossed over his face.

"Wow, I'm sorry. Do you...want to leave?" He asked, concerned. I shook my head.

"I'm...um...actually taking this medication that helps. I'm a lot better." I said. "As for the car crash story...it's true. A drunk driver hit my family car, and took my mother while placing me in a coma. It's fine though, I've gotten over it."

"I'm sorry for your loss." He said, giving me a kind smile. I smiled back and shrugged. After a long moment, Quinn leaned in closer to my ear.

"You wanna get outta here?" He asked. "I know this pretty great place."

After a moment, I smiled and nodded.

We ran out of the gym and outside, the cool October air meeting us as we ran to a section of the school I've never gone before. After a while, we stopped at a small garden.

"What is this place?" I asked.

"Gardening club space." Quinn smiled. "Pretty nice, huh?" I nodded, smiling as he led me to a nearby bench and we sat down. For a long moment, we were silent.

"What about you?" I asked, turning to Quinn.

"What?" He chuckled.

"You, tell me about you. I barely know anything about you." I explained. Quinn smiled and began talking.

"Well, my family owns the dance studio: as you know. It's not really something I'm passionate about, but I guess it's cool. I get to see some great shows, and I may inherit it when my parents retire, which is good I guess cause then I won't have to go to college but...I don't know: music's been more my thing then dance. I've always loved it: I can play the piano, guitar, drums, bass, trumpet, saxophone, I even sing sometimes; as lame as that sounds." He said, rubbing the back of his head. I shook my head.

"Doesn't sound lame to me. It's your passion, and you shouldn't let anything or anyone get in the way of that." I smiled. Quinn looked at me, a little surprised. Before I knew it, I felt him grab me by the waist and pull me closer. Before I could ask what he was doing, I felt his lips on mine.

I'm getting serious deja vu...

The kiss wasn't...terrible? I don't know, it felt kind of weird and the way his lips danced around mine didn't do anything for me. There were no shivers, no butterflies, no feeling like I was going to be sick...it was just a kiss.

Finally, my body began to work and I pulled away gently. A look of confused anxiousness flooded over Quinn's face.

"I'm sorry...did you not like it?" He asked.

"No...okay, ya. It wasn't great." I admitted, trying to put the truth lightly. "Look, Quinn, I'm sorry: but..."

"You don't feel that way for me?" Quinn asked, a sad smile gracing his lips. "It's fine, you're entitled to your own feelings and decisions."

I smiled back and leaned over, kissing him gently on the cheek. "Thanks Quinn, you're the best."

"But...Lina?" He asked, turning back to me. "Can we...stay friends? You're really an awesome girl, and if you don't want to be romantically involved: could we still have a platonic relationship?"

I giggled lightly before nodding. "I'd like that."

And that: Ladies and Gentlemen, is a clean breakup. Yup, despite what you all thought: Quinn's not a terrible human being! To be honest, I find the whole 'I'm in another relationship but they're evil and abusive: please save me love interest' thing is a majorly overdone cliché, and I didn't want to do that. Lina's been through enough in the past few chapters. I wanted Quinn and Lina to have the type of relationship that you may start off thinking that you have romantic feeling for each other, but that doesn't end up being the case, but you're still friends. In short, what I want to depict is; not all guys are assholes, and not all relationships end badly.

But just a little foreshadowing: this isn't the last we'll see of Quinn ;)