Chapter 38: Resolutions

"I know this sounds...Really weird." I muttered, looking down at my lap as my hands fiddeled with a strand of my hair.. "But...my own death itself, isn't what upsets me."

It had been a week since the incident, and nobody was taking it well. Everyone was distant, silent, and unresponsive; including myself. So the league decided to do the right thing and ask Dinah, their resident psychologist, do help us out.

"Do you...Want to expand on that?" Dinah asked tentatively, causing me to sigh.

"I willingly sacrificed myself; I knew what I was doing." I explained. "I knew that if I watched one more person get hit: I'd lose it. So I did what was right and put down my own life, and I'm fine with that, or at least I think I am: I'd do it a thousand times over if I had to. But when Megan took over and made us think everything was real–n-not that I blame her for that–everything just...Hit me. You and the league were dead, Red was dead, my family was probably dead...And Artemis was dead."

I paused, wiping at my eyes as to not cry for the thousandth time.

"When I became Zephyr, everyone warned me that we'd all probably die at the hands of an enemy: most of us aren't immortal. But...Seeing and feeling all those people that I love die, and I couldn't do a damn thing..."

I slumped over, no more words being able to fall from my throat. Suddenly, I felt Dinah place a hand on my leg comfortingly.

"You've never lost a comrade on the field before. The only death you've ever experienced was your mother's, but that was a car crash: not a violent alien invasion. This is something each hero has to go through; and yours, along with most people on your team, just happened to be this." Dinah said. "The best advice I can give you is too embrace in what you still have. Your friends and family are still alive, and that's something you need to embrace."

My head bowed as I felt tears begin to leak out from my eyes, but I nodded nonetheless. She was right: the illusion was just that, and everyone I loved was still alive.

"In the mean time, I'm going to pull the mother-figure card." She said, and I lifted my head and cocked it to the side as she smirked wickedly. "What was it that you said to Kaldur? You couldn't lose him? Are you sure there's nothing going on between you two?"

I felt a blush rise in my cheeks as I stared at Dinah.

"The world was ending!" I screeched in disbelief that Dinah was bringing this up.

The blonde simply hummed, her smirk growing.

"Whatever you say kid." Dinah said, standing up. "You good?"

I thought for a moment before smiling, nodding, and standing up. "I think I am, thank you Dinah."

She smiled and brought me into a hug which I happily returned.

"Anytime Lina." She said, before pulling away. "Now, you think you can send in your boyfriend next?"

I groaned and she laughed.

"You're terrible Dinah." I groaned as I began to walk out.

"Love you too kid." She shot back.

Walking out of Dinah's office, I begin to walk back to the main sitting area where the rest of the team (save Artemis who had had her session and gone home, and Conner who had stormed out in the middle of his) were waiting, just as distant and depressed as they were when I left. Megan had been stirring a bowl of batter for the past hour, Rob was staring into nothingness as he sat on a couch, Wally laid his head on the table, and Kaldur leaned against the counter with a sad look on his face.