Close Call

Jadeite

When I step off of the warp pad, I try to find my way around in the dark. As I'm walking I see the bright light coming from Peridot and Lapis's television. I'm not overly fond of them, but the two have grown on me over the past few weeks. I jump onto the truck, where they were watching tv and sit down.

"Hello Peridot, Lapis."

They gasp, "Jadeite! What are you doing here?"

I laugh and say, "There's a problem at the temple, and I needed to get away before I hurt anyone." Peridot seems satisfied with the answer and goes back to watching Camp Pining Hearts.

Lapis, on the other hand, wants more details. "What happened at the temple?"

I sigh and try not to lose my cool. I answer her through gritted teeth, "Pearl decided to... Kiss Topaz after training."

Lapis covers her mouth and says a quiet, "Oh no."

Peridot speaks up and says, "Did Pearl give any explanation to why she did that?"

I shake my head and say, "No, she ran off after she did. The last time I saw her was when I was sitting with Garnet. Pearl looked at us and burst out crying. I was going to pumble her after what she did to Topaz, but Garnet stopped me."

Peridot nods and says, "Well maybe you should hear her reason."

I shake my head. "I don't want to be anywhere near her."

Lapis cuts in and says, "How about we can go to sleep now, and worry about it tomorrow."

With that, she jumps off the truck and makes her way to the hammock in the back of the barn.

"You might need to cover your ears. Lapis snores." Peridot tells me, covering her own ears.

I laugh and lay down in the truck. I stare at all the stars, and end up drifting off to sleep.

I'm woken up by Garnet calling my name. "Jade!"

I jump off of the truck and land an inch in front of Garnet. I blush and take a step back from her. She blushes too, but carries on with why she was here.

"We all need to go on a mission, I wanted to know if you would go too." I nod and we both start our way to the warp pad.

Before we get to far I turn around and yell, "Bye Lapis! Bye Peridot!"

I see them wave from inside the barn and turn around again. As we step on the warp pad, Garnet speaks, "Feeling any better?"

"Mmhm." I say, and we warp to the house.

When we get there I see Amethyst, Steven and... Pearl... Sitting on the couch. I wave to Steven and Amethyst, but I ignore Pearl entirely. Garnet calls them over and I stand as far away as I can from Pearl. The others look tense and Pearl just silently looks at her feet.

Garnet warps us to an unknown island and says that we are looking for a corrupted gem. Steven goes with Garnet, and the rest of us split up. I look at the direction that Pearl is going, and go the opposite. I walk along a path in the trees, and find nothing. No tracks, no sounds, no smell. Nothing leading to a monster. I sigh and turn to make my way back, but hear a scream coming from a long way away from me.

I follow the scream and find Pearl fighting a corrupted gem . . . And losing. The monster just picked her up with its hand when I yell, "HEY!" It looks over and drops Pearl on the ground, slowly making its way towards me. She gets up and it looks like she might go after the monster again.

"Pearl! Go get the others!" I yell at her.

She nods and does what I say. I summon my sai's and face the monster again, ready to fight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been at least half an hour and Pearl still isn't back. What's not helping, is that the monster won't retreat into its gem. I've hit it too many times to count, but no luck. Finally I jump into the air and come down on its head. It poofs, but not before knocking me away with its hand. I hit the ground and disappear.

Zircon

Topaz lands far away, but I'm relieved when she gets up and walks over to me. I pick up the gem, bubble it and send it to the temple. I grab her hand just as the others come running out from the trees.

"Where did it go?" Steven asks us.

I smile and say, "In a bubble."

The others smile, Pearl still looking at the ground. I notice Topaz being quiet and look at her.

"Topaz, what's wrong?" The others come up in front of us and we all look at Topaz. She opens her mouth, but just closes it again. I look down at her gem and gasp. There's a huge crack down the middle, and it looks like it's close to shattering.

"Roses fountain! Now!" I pick her up and run to the warp pad, the others are confused, but follow me anyways. As I hop onto the warp pad I see Topaz make a sad smile. She takes her right hand and holds the side of my face.

I quickly warp us all to Roses fountain, and jump off, running to it. I see Topaz's gem crack even more, and the others do too.

"I know a way to help, if you let-" I cut off Pearl by snapping at her, "You are not going anywhere near her!"

I continue to run to the fountain, it just getting in my sight. Topaz closes her eyes and her hand starts to fall away from my cheek, but I adjust her so I'm holding her with one arm, and her hand with mine. She starts to glitch out and I start to panic more.

"No, no, no, no, no. You are not leaving. You're not."

I make it to the fountain and don't care if the others are with me anymore. I continue to run, when the others slow down, and jump right into the fountain. I stand there, holding Topaz's gem in the water.

It doesn't work at first and the tears I was holding back start to slip out. I feel Garnet put a hand on my back, and start to calm myself down. If anyone knew how I felt right now, Ruby and Sapphire would. Just then, Topaz's gem glows and the crack repair itself.

I watch as her eyes flutter open and she smiles her beautiful smile. She was sitting in the water and I fall to my knees in front of her. I lean over and wrap my arms around her waist, burrying my face in her chest. She laughs and places her head on top of mine, wraping her arms around my neck. I sigh and it makes her giggle even more. I pull back, but I don't let go of her.

"I thought I was going to lose you." I tell her, I still have tears running down my face and I see her face fall.

"No, don't worry. I'm fine, you saved me." She smiles at the last part and grabs the back of my head, pulling me in for a kiss.

We're only like that for a minute when Amethyst speaks up, "Guys, you really need to get a room." Topaz giggles, breaking the kiss, but quickly resumes.

I open one eye and look to where an annoyed Amethyst was. I just lift my left hand and flip her off. Pearl gasps and covers Stevens eyes, and Amethyst starts to crack up. I stop the kiss and pick Topaz up. As I jump out of the water with her, we fuse.

Jadeite

I land on the ground and start walking to the warp pad. The gems start after me and I stay silent the way to the warp pad. I see the others start to get worried at how quiet I am and I struggle to remain emotionless. I step on the warp pad, and before the others do, I hold out a hand to stop them.

Garnet speaks for them and says, "Jade, where are you going?" I smile and say to her, "I'm off to find a room."

I wink at Amethyst and warp away, laughing at all their blushing faces.