Chapter One

21.00 p.m.

(KUBARA)

I left the nursery, pretending to go to toilet. I didn't want to lie but I know them. Especially Ryoko. If they know I'm leaving to see Naomi, they would tease me endlessly! Sensing that she might be in the kitchen right now, I headed for that direction. The kitchen was lit brightly and seated at the long table were Naomi and Scarlett. They seem to be engaged in a deep conversation while munching some slices of apples. Takao was keeping today's leftovers in the refrigerator. He placed them into containers slowly and carefully to avoid damaging or spilling them.

I entered slowly and Naomi turned. Then, followed by Scarlett. Both of them beamed when they caught sight of me. I smiled and went up to them. Takao turned around and greeted me. Apparently he heard my footsteps as I entered the kitchen. Naomi and Scarlett greeted me too.

"What brings you here, master? Is there anything you wish us to do? Or is it that you want some tea and snacks? If so, the three of us will prepare those instantly." Takao asked. He had stopped transferring the food into the container and was now standing straight while glancing at me with a smile.

"No, don't worry about that. Continue whatever you're currently doing, please. I'm here for Naomi. I would like to talk to her for awhile." I turned to Naomi and smiled shyly. Somehow just meeting her gaze made me felt all squishy inside. My heart seems to be beating twice as fast as normal too whenever I'm in her presence. Naomi got up and excused herself. Then, she followed me outside with a shy smile.

"What do you want to talk about, master?" Naomi asked as soon as we're outside the kitchen. She looked rather nervous and flustered.

"You don't have to address me like that, Naomi. Just be normal. Like friends!"

"Alright...Kubara." She whispered my name. As if she's uncertain if she should call me that. I assured her that it's fine for her to call me that. Deep down, I'm bursting with happiness. "If you don't mind, can we go to the music room? It's cooler there."

Naomi nodded and we walked in silence. Both of us seemed awkward being around with each other and unsure of what to say or how to start the conversation. When we reached the music room, I held the door open for her and she entered, flipping the light switch on at the same time. "Thank you, Kubara."

Just hearing her say my name makes me feel happy. When we couldn't meet each other, I'll occasionally feel a slight loneliness. When I'm with her, I'm happy. When she smiles, I'll feel calm and happy too. When she's in trouble or in pain, I'll help her and soothe her because I couldn't bear to watch her sad face. I couldn't bear to let her be unhappy. I'll feel sad too if she's hurt. I wonder why I'm feeling all this.

She sat on the couch while I sat facing her. The couch was shaped like a U so when we sat together, our knees are almost touching. I felt my cheeks warm up a little even though it's not hot here. "How are you for the past few years? It's been awhile since we last saw each other. I hope you're well."

"I'm good. Thank you. How about you?" She asked with a smile.

"Same as usual I guess." I laughed. "I really miss you. I'm glad I got to come here. I'm glad you're still serving my family. If you had left too, I'll definitely miss you a lot."

She blushed and looked away. "Yeah. I would too. That's why I'm here. Because I know if I leave, I'll surely miss you and I wouldn't be able to focus on anything."

"Naomi, will you...go out with me when I finish high school? I want to take you out for some fun. There's almost nothing in this town. Let's go to city! There are a lot of fun places. I'll take you there and you'll feel nothing but fun throughout your time there. It must be boring staying here without having the chance to experience the outside world."