Prologue

August 13, 1963

15.00 p.m.

The sun was blazing hot today. Even though it was only spring, the sun still glared ferociously. If one were to stand in the open, the person would have already lost his skin after the tenth minute. That was why Aunt Kaguya held a parasol to shield herself from the sun. She loved to look beautiful and dainty so walking in this condition is agony for her even with her parasol. She only carried her purse with her. The rest of her belongings were carried by her husband.

Everyone else walked towards the train station with their own luggage. The cousins were very lively except for Urshu, who remained like her usual demeanor; silent and reserved. If you look closely, you can see that she has sad eyes. Even the cousins don't know the reason. She walked close to her mother but Aunt Kaguya didn't hold her hand like most mothers do. She continued gazing at the scenery as if she does not exist. Urshu must have known this would happen. She made no attempts of wanting her mother to notice her or hold her hand. I could see that she really wanted her mother to pay her some attention. Though she may not contain any emotions, but I could tell. I knew. But I can't judge how others live their lives. After all, I'm just a kid.

Ryoko gave a delighted cry when they were nearing the station. She twirled and held onto her hat with her left hand to prevent it from flying. "Yes! Finally, the station is in sight. I'm exhausted!" We were forced to walk five miles in order to reach the station. It wasn't like this at all, back then! I don't know why they decided to tear down the old station and built it further inside. Doesn't that require more work?

Aunt Kaguya was already huffing and puffing after half a mile. She wore heels which was not suitable for this at all. Uncle Shuichi had to stop and wait for her to regain her breath every few minutes. That made our journey even longer. The others were already sweating and glaring at Aunt Kaguya. Deep down, they must have really started hating her and if they were given the strength, they would definitely haul her up and raced onward to quicken the journey.

"Seere, why are you silent all the way? Come on, smile. Make some jokes! I thought you were a lively person?" She pouted and glared at me with her beautiful blue eyes. I smiled. "Sorry. Was preoccupied with something."

Her pout immediately changed into a sly grin. She tiptoed closer to me and poked me on the arm. "Found someone already, eh? Come on, spill it out! We're your cousins. You can tell us anything."

"What? Seere has a lover? That's a surprise." Jun sauntered over with his usual smile. Kubara nudged me on the arm and demanded me to confess everything. I held up my hands and groaned. "No! You've all got the wrong idea. I was just thinking of Urshu." I lowered my voice when I spoke her name, afraid that Aunt Kaguya might overhear it.

Ryoko sighed and shifted the bag to her other hand. She waved her right hand a little to lessen the pain. "I thought you had something interesting to tell. You're just like the rest of them! So, what about her? What did you see? Why are you the only one seeing things?" She grumbled.

"Well, I was just thinking of Aunt Kaguya's manner towards her. It feels like she doesn't really care for her daughter's well-being. It was like that every other year too."

"Now that you mention it. Yeah, I saw it too sometimes during the previous years. That's Aunt Kaguya for you. Sometimes it feels like her kindness towards her are all an act. I don't really care about her but Urshu must have had it hard. Honestly, she deserves better." Ryoko's voice had started to become an octave higher. Jun and I quickly shushed her for the fear of Aunt Kaguya hearing our conversation.