Chapter Seven

8.30 a.m.

Amaya was seen in the kitchen with Takao. She's helping him to prepare the meals. Since she's not bad in cooking, Takao allowed her to help too because preparing that huge amount of food is troubling for one person. It would take at least three to get the job done but two is still acceptable.

"Amaya, are you alright? I'll carry the heavy stuff so you just need to place those food onto the plates." Takao's hand hovered in midair as he tried to catch Amaya's attention. It took awhile for her to react. She stirred, mixing the ingredients needed to make the gravy in the bowl while gazing listlessly at something.

"Oh, sorry! Yes, I'm alright. You don't have to treat me like a sick person! I'm still healthy, you know." Amaya chuckled as she carried a plate of salad to the table after the mixture is thoroughly mixed. That's not the dining table. Later they'll have to transfer it to the dining table in the dining room. Lucky for them, they have a trolley to transfer all those food in one go. That's more convenient. Otherwise, they'll have to go several rounds back and forth to deliver the food.

"Amaya, why don't you set the table first? I'll wheel the food over later. That will lessen your burden. Plus, you're having back pains. You've been massaging your back for awhile now." Takao took the ladle from her hands and ushered her out of the kitchen.

"My! I'd never thought that you would notice. You're so caring but our ages are almost the same though." Amaya teased him with a chuckle. That made him scrunched his eyebrows and turned away. He hated it when Amaya compared their ages.

"Well, I'm still younger than you. You're still my elder. I've to respect you. Now, go and set the table please!" He took the pot away from the stove and placed it on the kitchen counter. Then, he went to the cabinet in search for some bowls. Amaya stared at him and a soft smile formed on her lips. She took a tray loaded with napkins and cutlery from the table.

"Thank you! Well, I'm heading off now." Amaya turned to leave but after walking a few paces, she bumped into Madam Kaguya. It's only a light knock on her arm but Madam Kaguya looked a little irritated for a short while. Amaya didn't see this expression of hers though in time.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Madam!" Amaya quickly bowed as an apology. She feared her rudeness and clumsiness would anger Madam Kaguya.

"It's you. Ah, just thought you should know. Well, there's another victim. Apparently, the culprits are not the both of them. I made sure to put multiple locks so that they wouldn't escape. Still, the murders are occurring." Madam Kaguya held out a key and asked Amaya to extend her hand, which she did. By holding the tray with one hand, she extend the other out. The key was then placed onto her palms. "Release them and tell them to be careful. Stay in a group and don't ever wander off alone. Be on your guard a little. Well then, I'm off to the dining room."

"Yes, Madam! Your orders will be carried out. I'll bring them up and be back quickly to set the table."

"Huh?" Madam Kaguya turned and gave her a frown. Evidently, she looked displeased at what she had just heard. Her eyes narrowed and suddenly her gaze looked fearsome. "What do you mean? After all these while, you still haven't set the table? It's already time for breakfast! No, maybe I should say, it's already past the time for breakfast. What use are all of you as servants? I can't imagine why father would hire a bunch of worthless crap to work here. Forget about the two of them. Set the table now!"

Amaya bowed even lower this time. "Yes, Madam! I'll set the table now." With that, she hurried away and straight to the dining room. Along the way, she cursed herself for not setting the table earlier.