61. Back to the basics

DOUBLE UPDTAE. PREPARE FOR SOME ANGST.

Run.

That was the most practical thing Lian could come up with as all logical reason left her brain the minute her gaze landed on her mother smiling over at her ever so pleasantly. Lian was suddenly reminded of a tiger ready to eat its prey. And that prey was her.

"Lian, darling," her mother greeted with her usual cold voice and her toothy smile. She uncrossed her legs and got up from the couch before approaching Lian.

The girl unconsciously took a step back. "Mother."

Lian's mother frowned. "I'd expect a little more enthusiasm from you, dear. The last time we saw each other was in the summer."

Lian's mouth abandoned her. She couldn't seem to find the will to speak.

"Aren't you happy to see your mother, Lian?" Her mother asked, her elegant gestures showed that she came from a long line of aristocrats. It was so unlike Lian's movements.

"Am I talking to myself?" The woman looked around the huge lobby. "Come on, dear. Answer me. Where is your brother, by the way?"

At that moment, Lian finally snapped out of it. "You know where he is. You tell me." It was amazing how much venom she put on to those words.

"You don't want to play that game with me," her mother seethed through greeted teeth. "Go on, now. Show me where he is."

Lian knew what that tone meant. She was either to lead the way or get dragged to their unit. She opted for the former and obediently headed to the lift so she can lead the dragon to their den. Lian was silently hoping Zei wasn't home although she knew for sure he was. She already knew the outcome of it all and at this point, all she wanted to do was surrender to her fate and let herself be dragged back to LA.

The lift door opened, breaking Lian's train of thought as it revealed the hallway. She hastily strode over to their door, punched in the code which proved to be a difficulty considering how badly her hands were trembling.

"So how is it? Seeing your brother again after so long?" Her mother tried to make small talk as they waited for the door to open.

It did a second later and Lian hesitantly walked in. She froze when she heard Zei's voice calling out her name from the kitchen.

"Mei? Thank God you're here," his voice got closer. He was probably making his way towards the door where Lian still stood. "Did Mark tell yo—"

Zei's eyes widened and his question hung in midair when he saw the person standing behind his little sister. "Mother."

"Hello, my dear boy." The woman smiled. Zei was suddenly reminded of the witch who trapped Hansel and Gretel in her home and left them there to die.

***

Lian awkwardly sat on the living room couch, fingers twiddling together as she waited for Zei and their mother to end their discussion.

Her nerves were starting to get to her. She didn't know what the outcome of this was but she was holding on to that one tiny spark of hope she had when Zei assured her that he'd fight for her freedom and independence before he and their mother went inside his study to, well, fight over her.

It didn't help that she can hear everything they were saying.

"She's staying with me, mom! I can support her now!" Lian heard Zei say.

"She has an obligation to this family! The same family you left behind! You have nothing to do with us anymore, Zhiyuan!" Mrs. Wong shot back. Now she's starting to guilt trip him?