Lovers?

3 months and a tour later:
Virat had been away and had not met Ananya for all that while but they had been in touch messaging each other and all.

'So, you are coming back today?', she asked him.

'Yes, just about to board the flight', he replied her back.

'Cool. Come and meet me when you are here, after some days. I have loads to tell you', she texted him back.

'Yeah, I know', he smiled while sending her the message.

'Hey', Hardik tapped his shoulder from behind.

'Hey', he said caught surprised.

'Why were you smiling so cheekily?', he asked him in a manner of teasing.

'Cheekily? No...nothing. Just excited to go back home', he said stuttering a bit.

'Oh...I see but I have never seen you like this', he prodded again.

'Just leave me alone na', Virat pushed him playfully.

'Someone's acting weird today', Ajinkya joined in.

'Jinx, c'mon not you', Virat said.

'Ok, cool. Hardik, look Rohit was looking for you', he sent him away and turned towards Virat,
'So, what's going on? I am really happy to see you like this. Is this about the psychiatrist?', Ajinkya asked him and saw his expressions change, as though he had been caught in the act.

'No, Jinx, she is pregnant. She is a good friend and that is about it. I just find it very easy to connect with her. That's it. It's just nice to have a conversation with her', he explained.

'Good for you', Ajinkya decided not to indulge any further in it so as to cause him any pain.

'Let's board the flight', Virat said to him and both moved towards boarding.

They all finally reached their hometowns and once again reunited with their families.

'Back', Virat messaged to Ananya.

'Oh, good', she messaged him back.

Virat reached home and was surrounded by his family. Their constant love never failed to amaze him. Maybe, that is why family is considered to be the most important pet of an individual.

Virat spent the next four days with them. It was only on the fifth day that he decided to go and visit Ananya. 

'Hey, how have you been?', she asked him as he entered her room. The servant had opened the door.

'Good and look at you. You look amazing', he said seeing her in the glow of the pregnancy.

'Thank you and I know it is far from the truth but I'll take it anyway', she said keeping her papers away.

'What are you still working on?', Virat asked curiously.

'Some patients' files. It helps to be focussed and all otherwise there is nothing else to do', she said.

'Hmm...I see that you love working. So would you like to have some lunch with me or what are your plans?', he asked her.

'I would love to. But I hate the idea of getting dressed up just for a lunch. Why don't you eat here with me? Serves our purpose, right?', she asked him.

'Yes, of course', he chimed in.

'Ok, I'll just go and see if everything's prepared. You sit down here', she told him.

'No, that's all right. I'll join you. No need to be formal', he said.

'Come on then', she said.

They went to the kitchen and Virat cooked some Maggie for the both of them. Finally, they sat down to have some conversation.

'Are you visiting the doctor regularly?', Virat asked her.

'Yeah, of course I am', she said.

'Good. And stop taking this stress that all your patients bring', he told her.

'Oh, they are fun. All of them. I love my patients and I would not stop them for the world', she said proudly.

'Ok, but don't get too involved and stuff', he warned her.

'Virat, I am a sensible woman. Not a kid. Okay?'

'Yeah, okay', he said making a face.

'Virat, I am a little scared of not screwing up this thing. And when someone throws in a little caution, I start thinking if I am doing something wrong. That's why I just can't take in all these pieces of advice that come in', she explained to him.

'I really want the best for you and this kid. So, I just act a little weird sometimes. Bear with me, please', he said.

'Oh, yes I will. How are things at home?', she asked.

'All well'

'Good'

'What about your mom and dad?', he asked.

'They are good too. They are actually very excited about the kid', she answered.

'Of course', Virat said a little sadly.

'Come, let's retreat to my room', she said taking his hand seeing him sad.

They went to the room and spent the next hour taking to one another. There was no stopping and there was absolutely no discomfort.

'Ananya, I must confess something to you', Virat finally said.

'Yes?', she was a little surprised.

'I think you are an amazing woman and had I met you before I met Aarushi, I would definitely have fallen for you. Now, my family and friends have had all sorts of suspects on me. And for a moment, I really thought of what a terrific person you are. But, I must clear it once and for all, I want to be your best friend and nothing more at all. I know this all would sound a little crazy to you but I just want to clear my conscience, so I thought it was important to tell you', he blurted it out.

'Oh...I don't know what to say. To be very honest with you, I have never met a better man than you in my life and it was always natural to fall for you. And I did. I did fall for you. But, that does not mean that it has to evolve into something. I am glad you are my friend', she said.

'Does this mean you love me?', Virat asked a little cautiously.

'Would it be so bad if I did?', she asked.

'I don't know. I am flattered to say the least. But, love is too far fetched. I loved only one person ever in my life. And this does not mean that I cannot fall in love twice. I can. It's just that I don't know if I'll ever be able to match up to that love and expectations once again. It's so easy to love you but it is very difficult to live with the comparisons haunting me. Trust me, I love you, just not in that way', Virat let out a sigh.

'Virat, relax. I am not asking you to love me, I have always been a strong, independent woman. There is no way I will let go of my self respect again. It's just that you were on to clearing some things, so I decided to do the same. Just, chill, ok', she said.

'So, then let's meet as soon as we can again. Take care and call me any minute you need me, ok?', he said giving her a hug.

'Yes, bye bye', she said.