Shame

'Hey, I really am running out of coincidences. Are you like following me?', Virat said with a chuckle.

'Hi, Virat. I didn't know you were staying here', Ananya said grimly.

'Are you ok? I was just joking. Do you want some water?', he asked as he saw she was almost close to tears.

'No, Virat I am alright. I'll meet you soon', she said forcing a smile.

'Ok, I really hope you are...'

She had left even before he could complete his sentence leaving Virat really surprised. Ananya, on the other hand, found some relief. She wanted to cry out loud just to see if that was what was going to help her be normal for the longer course.

She switched off her phone which had almost 15 missed calls. Some from her clients, others from her mom while the remaining ones from Aditya. She loved him. There had never been any doubt about that but she was not willing to compromise what she stood for, just for the love she had for him. She dialled her mom's cell from the hotel's phone and informed her about her whereabouts. She didn't tell her about the short meet which had literally broken her apart, though.

'Ananya, where are you? I have been waiting for you. We always have dinner together. What is it? Do you want me to come pick you up?', Aditya asked her on the phone.

'No, Adi I am a little caught up in this work. The defence pleads tomorrow. I have to submit my report', she said sounding really busy.

'Ok, but call me if you need anything. And if you don't come by 11, I'll come there and pick you up', he said.

'Ok, you have your dinner. I love you'

'Love you too and please take care of yourself. Call me at any instant if you need anything or feel uncomfortable'

'I will. Bye'

'Bye bye. Love you', Aditya said.

'Hey', Abhimanyu said entering her office.

'Hi, I didn't know you were going to come and pay me a visit', Ananya said all surprised.

'I have some work Ananya', he said.

'Yes, what is it? I am a little busy right now', she said.

'Ananya, I am representing the victim's side tomorrow. I am the assistant lawyer. I heard you are working on the convict's psyche report', he said.

'Oh..I see. Abhi, I hope you are not asking me what I think you are asking me', she said.

'I just want to know what your report says', he said.

'Well, you'll find out tomorrow. I have already submitted the details of my sessions. You might have interpreted things out of them', she said.

'Look, Ananya I know you are doing your job here but this man is a danger to our society. He cannot be let loose. You understand that right?', he asked a rhetoric question.

'Abhi, that's for the court of law to decide. And don't tell me you are all perfect. You guys pass judgment as though you haven't done anything wrong. People change and they should be given a chance to change. I am doing my job and I have no interest in what happens tomorrow but if I think he has benefited from these sessions and he must be let loose, that is what will be in my report', she said.

'You are not understanding the gravity of this situation'

'And you are? I know what he did. Ok? I am a woman too. He basically took away a soul of an innocent but the fault is not all his. It is our system that makes these criminals what they are. Why do we have to scorn them? They are humans too. Let's be harsh in our punishment but then after it has been meted out, we must give a chance to an individual to finally live. The law is in order. If you want to change it, well do that. Don't fight with me. If you are good enough, you'll win anyway. I am not taking sides here but this is confidential information which cannot be shared. I'm sorry', she said.

'Ok, anyway you want something to eat?', he asked.

'I know I am a foodie but you can't buy me with food', she said with a giggle.

'I'll order some Chinese', he returned her smile.

They both sat down to enjoy some noodles and the conversation went from law and order to down the memory lane.

Aditya kept calling her but she had put her cell on silent mode and thus didn't notice. He finally arrived at the office. He was inebriated and his driver had suggested that he goes in but he decided to do so himself.

Ananya had been really weary and she had slept on Abhimanyu's shoulder. Abhimanyu had no idea about this as he had dozed off before her.

Aditya saw them from a distance and pre assumed things. He went in and thumped the table.

'So, I see what work you are up to', he said loudly.

'Oh, Adi you are here. Why are you shouting? Let's go home', Ananya said trying to open her eyes.

'Whose house, Ananya? Mine or his?', he said pointing towards Abhimanyu.

'Wait, why would I go to his house', she seemed confused.

'You can do all this in a better manner, right?'

Abhimanyu had also woken up by this time.
'I don't know what you are thinking but it's not like that', Abhimanyu came in her defence.

'You bastard, please shut your shitty mouth', Adi shouted.

'Adi, c'mon you know Abhi. What is it? Are you drunk? Have you driven here on your own?', Ananya asked him

'So what if I have drunk a little bit. You are the one acting all drunk. What did you say? Let's postpone sex for a while. I am tired. Why wouldn't you be when you were having some nice time with him?'

'Ok, Adi let's just get home. You really are drunk', Ananya said picking up her stuff.

'No, you wouldn't let me touch you. And here you are having all the fun with him. Did you have a good time, you dog?', he said advancing towards him in an attempt to slap him.

'Aditya, you are over reacting', he said trying to get away.

'Adi, come on. Let's go. The driver is waiting outside. I told you not to drink so much', Ananya said holding his hand. She had contacted the driver and he had told her that he was waiting outside.

'Get away from me, you bitch', he said and jerked her hand away. He pushed her hard.

Ananya fell on the floor. She wasn't hurt much physically but she had no idea what had gotten into her husband. He had had bouts of depression in the past few months but this was not anything she had experienced before.

'Come here and kiss me', he said picking her up.

'Adi, we should go', she said getting up.

'No, you will have to do it with me now. Right now, I said. Come on', he shouted at her.

'Adi, calm down. Here look at me. What has happened. Come on tell me. Did your investor back out?', she asked him breathlessly.

'You are not listening to me. I said, remove your clothes', he shouted.

Ananya looked towards Abhimanyu who had his head down. He brought a sleeping pill and both of them shoved it into his mouth with some efforts. Ananya was shocked and she could hardly meet Abhimanyu's eyes.

'Do you want me to come and help you till your home', he asked.

'Huh? No..I'll take it from here. Thanks Abhimanyu', she said tears rolling down her face.

'Take care', he said and left the office.