Darkness prevails

'Adi? Adi? Where are you?', Ananya was panic stricken. She had been trying his cell for so long and he hadn't answered. It was 7 in the evening. Aditya was usually back by 6. She kept shouting but got no answer.

Ananya asked the servants and they told her that Aditya had not come back after he had left at 8 in the morning. Ananya seemed very tense now. She called him for the umpteenth time again. Same response.

Suddenly, Ananya received a call from Aditya's mother.
'Hello, Ananya', she sounded almost tearful.

'Hello, mom. Is something the matter?', Ananya asked hurriedly.

'Ananya, he...', and she couldn't continue.

His dad took the phone and told Ananya.
'Ananya, we just received a call. Aditya has met with an accident. He is currently at Globe Medicare', his father somehow finished the dreadful news.

Ananya sat down with a thud on the sofa. She couldn't believe what she had heard. She took the car keys and decided to drive herself to the hospital. Her driver, however, intervened, seeing her situation.

'Excuse me, can you please tell me where has Mr. Aditya Kapoor been admitted?', she said trying her level best to contain her tears.

'Ma'am he has been taken to the trauma unit. Walk straight and take the first right. And please confirm your acquaintance with him', she answered.

'I'm his wife', she told her and rushed towards the trauma unit.

She went there and saw his parents already sitting there. They were inconsolable, specially his mother. Ananya went and hugged his mother.

She asked the nurse who had just come out of the room.
'What are the injuries like?', she asked.

'Ma'am we will have to see how he responds. Right now, it's a very perilous situation. He has many broken bones and his body is not responding to any treatment that we are providing. Will you please excuse me?', she said looking over the attendant who had brought in a fresh batch of syringes and bandages.

Ananya saw his mother crying even more bitterly. She just sat next to her and held her hand. She told her to be strong and believe that nothing would happen to him.

After about fifteen minutes, the doctor came outside and summoned them.
'We are losing him, minute by minute. He has injured his spinal cord as well as his brain. I want you guys to see him for whatever moments he has in hand', he said and opened the door of the unit.

The mother fainted at the news. His father tried to support her. He asked Ananya to go inside. Ananya went in making a fist in her hand. She was crying incessantly now. She saw him lying there amidst so many machines and broke down completely. How had it all happened in a stroke of a moment? How had life changed so drastically? What had become of him?

His parents entered the room after a few minutes and his mother just went and ruffled his hair insisting him to get up against all odds, defying all the rules. He wasn't dead as of yet but he was no more aware of his surroundings. His heart was slowly giving up. He was just a body lying there asking to be given freedom now.

They kept sitting there for almost an hour. Doctors came in, changed drips, but nothing changed. After about half an hour more, Aditya was declared dead.

The formalities were done and the body was taken home. A report had been filed but the medical records stated that Aditya had been drunk. More than normal. Ananya could not understand this. He had just promised her that he would not be drinking any time soon.

The police came in and told her all about the accident. They ruled out any malice in the incident and it was reported that he had first bumped into a truck and then hit the divider of the road which had pierced through his car.

Ananya listened to all of it very patiently. She was, however, very surprised to know about the place where it had all happened. It did not come in the route of his college to home. What had he been up to? What was he doing? For now, she deluded herself from all this.

'Thank you, sir', she said to the policemen.

His body was kept overnight as was the custom. They had to wait for the sun. Ananya went to the bedroom and found it really haunting. This was the very place where they had made love last night. It would never be so again. Life had been so cruel. She had won it and lost it all in a moment.

Her mother and father came to the house. Her mother decided to sleep with her but there was no sleep for the night. Her father consoled the shattered parents. He tried to make the mother take some fluids. She had a high blood pressure condition. But, he did that to no avail. Ananya's mother saw the fear of losing a child real hard on her husband's face that day. She was hugging and consoling her daughter but he was the one who had deep horrors etched all over his face. He could see that his daughter had finally lost her little world. He was afraid if this could in turn make him lose her. The night had befallen, the rays of the morning sun had no power to remove this darkness from the family.