The special one

'Have a seat, sir', Ananya said pointing towards the seat right in front of her. Her office was more of a creative abode than anything else. She had various quotes put up in the form of posters and the remaining wall was filled with paintings and drawings, which seemed to have been made by amateurs.

'Thank you', Virat said with a smile and sat down.

'I want to talk to you about the incident that Rohit narrated to me. Are you ready to talk about it or should we deal with it another day? You should be comfortable and open up completely to me', she said warmly.

'I...I don't want to...there's nothing in it...for you to know', Virat said hesitatingly.

'That is for me to decide, sir', she said.

'Ok, well I don't like the position you are putting me in'

'Sir, the goal is to make you comfortable enough to live in this world but that can only happen if I know the root of all problems. Please cooperate with me', she said.

'Ok, well I don't know what he saw but I was just missing my wife and I know I'd sound crazy but she was there. I saw her, talked with her', Virat said, his eyes fixed on some painting.

'Okay, let's assume for a moment that she really was there. What happened? What did she say to you?'

'I...she told me that...we just talked about things', Virat said grasping a hold on his words.

'Fine, Virat how old are you?', she asked him now.

'What?', he was caught a little off guard by the question.

'Your age?'

'I am 32', he said.

'Okay and at 32, you have given up on all your dreams, desires and everything that life stands for because life took away one person from your life...'

'She was not just one person, okay? She was my entire life', Virat said in anger.

'That is what you would say. What about your friends, family? They don't have any importance in your life?', she asked him calmly though her question had no calm.

'I love my family but it's just too taunting to watch everyone enjoy with their families, kids and I am left all alone without anyone. And frankly, I don't want to enter people's territory just because I am alone', he answered.

'That's the difference, Virat. Our families choose to love us. Your friends choose to love you, they are not bound by any legal documents to love you. But they still do'

'Look it's easy to step in your shoes and advise someone. I loved her beyond anything in this world. There was a time when I felt deceived. Now, I just miss her, every freaking moment of my life', he said.

'The subject in question are you. I would not bring my personal life into this but everyone has problems in their lives and there is no parameter to judge which is more painful than the other. Anyway, let's move on. I want you to close your eyes', she said.

'For what?', he asked stubbornly.

'I'll tell you once you close them', she said.

Virat closed his eyes without questioning further. He knew he had already crossed his limits by talking to her the way he had. She was, after all, just doing her job.

'Try and remember her. Visualise her', she said.

Virat moved a little in his chair. It was not like he had to try to see her. She resided in his eyes.
Ananya recorded the entire scene she saw afterwards and made some notes on it.

After a few minutes:

'No, please, Aarushi baby stay back I need you', he said and opened his eyes.

'Did you see her?', she asked him.

'She went away as she always does', he said sadly.

'You want some water?', she said handing him the glass full of water.
Virat gulped it in a single go and got up.

'I should go', he said.

'Should I...I mean are you okay?', she asked.

'Yeah, thanks Ms. Ananya. This is painful, you know, remembering her and then coming back to reality', he said.

'I am sorry but this is my job. I need to know what you are seeing in order to give you a cure', she said.

'I know. And I am thankful for that'

'Well, so we meet tomorrow?', she asked her little charmed girl image coming out.

'Yes, I guess', Virat said with a smile.

'Ok, then. Take care and can I say something?'

'Yes, of course. You really have earned it', Virat said.

'I think Aarushi was one lucky girl'

'Yeah, those who know her better might suggest something different. I was almost hit by a windfall to have her but a stroke was all it was. She came and went away like a whirlwind', Virat said his eyes getting moist.

'I know you better and I can bet she was really lucky. Don't undermine yourself, Virat. You really loved her in a way no man can possibly love his wife. That's why it's so difficult for you to move on', she said.

'I should go', he said looking towards his mobile screen.

'Yeah, sure', she said and watched him leave. She was in awe of him. She had met so many people in this field but none had loved their wife the way he did. She even felt a little pride in getting to know him. And yes, Aarushi, she concluded, would have been really special to have been a part of his life.