Shubhi

'Yes...yes, Ananya, I thought you left', Virat said looking at her.

'I wanted to say that this was all amazing', she said curling her hair with her fingers.

'That's a nice word to use for a rather crappy afternoon. I tried. I really tried so hard but I guess I'll never get over the grief. I wanted to celebrate her. I just failed at it', he said throwing his hands in the air.

'That's where you are wrong. You didn't have to do it in any prescribed day. No one expected you to be all happy and jolly. You did great, believe me', she told him.

'Thank you. You want something?'

'No, I should get going. But there's one more thing, Virat that I would like to say. It hurts to see you like this. I wish I had met you when Aarushi was still there, to see that beautiful smile more often. I am not a firm believer of second chances but it's doing me a hell of good in believing in them. Just saying, you know', she said without a stop.

'I appreciate your stopping by', Virat said containing the anger within him. Second chances? Did a second chance guarantee another Aarushi cause he sure as hell didn't want anything else.

'I think I'll get going then', she said as she began to leave.

'Ananya, I wish you all the best for your life', Virat said to her coldly.

'Virat...I didn't mean it that way. We still are friends, right?', she asked him.

'Yes', Virat kept the conversation short.

Ananya didn't say another word. She just gave him another quick glance and then made her way towards the door.

'She was your friend?', Vikas asked him.

'Yes', Virat replied as he saw his brother entering his room.

'Well, you should have stopped her for a drink or something', he said.

'She had to leave'

'Okay, come outside', Vikas said.

'Yes, in a moment', he said.

'Virat, I forgot to tell you something', Vikas said coming back.

'Yes?'

'You remember mom's friend, Rachna Aunty?'

'Yeah, I do. The family of professors', Virat said with a smile.

'Yeah, that one. Her daughter Shubhi came as well and she wants to meet you for some assignment. She is a photographer.'

'Well, didn't you tell her that I don't do all this anymore?', Virat asked him a little surprised and irritated. Yes, Shubhi was great. He had met her a couple of times and they had hit it off really well. After an year of on and off talks, they had just got busy with their professional lives. Today, she was not on Virat's list of people whom he wanted to meet. The strangers seemed okay. The known ones just looked at him in a way that he had turned into a ghost or something.

'I did, but she was very insistent. So, I invited her over for lunch tomorrow.'

'You did what?', Virat asked in surprise.

'It's no big deal. I promise', Vikas said.

Virat didn't respond to anything what Vikas said after that on that issue. He just got busy making up his sheets and fiddling with his mobile later on.

'Virat, this girl Shubhi? She is calling you. Should I pick up the phone?', Aarushi asked Virat who was still in the shower.

'No, wait I'll come and talk to her', Virat replied.

'Ok, baby', she said.

'So what was she saying?', Aarushi asked him after he had finished talking to her.

'Nothing. She is a lead photographer for GQ. I have to go in there next week for a cover shoot. So, just a preview of how it's gonna be. Normal stuff that GQ does', Virat answered.

'Ok. Do you know her or what?', she asked.

'Yeah, she is the daughter of one of mom's friend.'

'Ok, let's meet with her then someday', Aarushi said excitedly.

'Aarushi', Virat said staring at her.

'What? I really want to meet her. I don't know any other friends of yours other than the ones in the team. I want to know them', she said.

'Ok, she is not a great friend of mine. She is more like an acquaintance', he said.

'Cool, maybe I can be friends with her. She seems pretty interesting', Aarushi said.

'Pangs of jealousy much?', Virat said wickedly.

'Oh, shut up! You are not the bone of contention among all the beautiful ladies of the world', Aarushi said mockingly.

'Well, some might agree to disagree with you, Madame', Virat said with a sense of self indulgence which was more of a trying to win a conversation.

'Yeah, yeah...we'll see...'