Chapter 27

Nervous, afraid, shaky, speechless. That was what I felt the next morning after seeing him through my window. I had stayed up all night long and watched my bedroom window, hoping to catch a sight of him, but I didn't and I ended up being comatose.

The next morning I found myself shaking when I realized I might see him at school. Zoë had stopped in front of my house and given me a funny look when my eyes stayed glued to his house.

"Should I be worried?" She asked.

I shook my head and glanced down at my fingers. Maybe I had imagined seeing him last night, I thought but I knew that was highly impossible because he surely had to have been there closing the curtains.

I willed myself to forget the incident and focus on ending the school year. It was so close to the end of senior year and I couldn't believe that I'd have my freedom soon.

"We're almost finished, Zoë, with senior year," I told her.

She grinned. "We are. I can't wait, I'll finally be able to say goodbye to all those peanuts my parents take in," she said, happily.

We began talking about her parents and the foster kids they took in and I felt a sense of relief that nothing had changed with my best friend. I knew I hadn't been the best friend and I really wanted to be better. Maybe, I should forget about boys for a while.

"So, you still going to that University in the U.K.?" She asked me.

I hadn't really thought about University, especially after everything that happened this year. I wanted to go abroad to study but I felt a stir of uncertainty. If Zayne was really back then I don't know if I want to leave him.

It probably sounded absurd to give everything up for a boy, but I could honestly and truly say that I love him. He was the best thing that ever happened to me and now reflecting on everything that's happened I can't help but think about how quickly someone can be ripped from my grasp. Even though, my father might not deserve to be forgiven anything could happen to him and then I'd have no one left. Leaving Zayne and unresolved problems honestly didn't seem appealing.

"I don't know anymore."

Zoë seemed to understand my hesitation. "Well, I'm going to Boston," she said.

I grinned. "They accepted you!" I was truly happy for my friend. She'd wanted to go to Boston since she became a freshman in high school. "What about Preston?"

"He's going to a University somewhere in Manhattan, so that's great," she told me.

I was happy someone in my life was getting a happy ending they deserved. I couldn't help but wonder what Zayne's plans were after high school. I did recall him telling me that he had to take care of his mother but now that she was gone I didn't know what he planned to do.

Weirdly enough the school halls still looked and sounded the same. It felt like a lifetime since I'd come to school even though it was almost a week, not long. Everyone seemed to have forgotten what had happened with Jess and didn't even look at me at all.

I guess I expected some big difference but everything was the same. My classes still bored me to death and PE was still Zoë and I's free period.

Coach Dunne grinned when he saw me and pulled me in for an oddly nice hug. "Where have you been, Aurora?" He asked.

I told him that I had a cold and I just didn't feel like I could come to school and endure it's cruel and harsh classes ended in an infinite list of homework.

"I missed you. You know, Zoë's excuses didn't work without you here so she had to actually partake!" We laughed.

After we ran our warm up lap. Coach explained what would be happening today.