Chapter 23

Zayne

A siren. I felt myself stir at the loud, irritating sound of a siren. Was it a police siren, I didn't know but I knew that I just wanted it to shut up. Aurora stirred in her sleep and it was only then when I opened my eyes that I realized it was an ambulance siren.

I shot up and looked at the clock on Aurora's bed side. Awoken by my sudden movement she woke up and sleepily gazed at me.

"Something's wrong. There's an ambulance outside." I got up and put my shoes on before running down the stairs. The windows were illuminated with white, red and blue lights.

I opened the front door, Aurora trailed after me. The ambulance was in front of my house. I skipped the porch steps and sprinted across the street to my house.

My first thought was that my mom had had an attack and might've been hurt badly. Mara sat in one of the ambulances, tears streaming down her face.

"Mara, what's wrong?" I asked her, kneeling in front of her .

She threw her arms around my neck. "Mommy had an attack."

I let go of my sister and ran into the house and was stopped by a black bag on a gurney, rolling out of the house. My eyebrows furrowed, not registering.

"What? Who is this?" I asked one of the paramedics even though I knew at the back of my denial mind what was going on.

"Who are you?" He questioned me back.

"I'm Clara Thatcher's son," I told him and his eyes immediately softened.

I gripped the paramedic's collar and and shook my head frantically. The man removed my hand from his collar and tried to console me.

"Calm down, son," he said.

I felt a hand on my bicep and noticed Aurora next to me, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. Her touched calmed me slightly.

"What happened?" I asked the man.

Another paramedic shouted for the man and he held up a hand, jogging to the ambulance. I followed him and into the back of the ambulance where my sister was. They didn't want me to ride along with my mother and even though I might've known the reason I knew denial had dug it's cruel claws into my back.

Aurora sat with us and held my hand, assuring me that she thought everything would fine but I knew that my life would change today, forever.

When we arrived at the hospital Aurora took Mara to get something to eat and I ran to reception. "Excuse me. The paramedics just brought someone in, my mom, where are they?"

She hesitated and then simply pointed to the door, separating the lobby from the hospital. I ran through and almost knocked someone to the floor. A woman in a white coat, a doctor.

"Hi, my mom just came in with these paramedics, so please tell me you can tell me what's going on, doctor," I pleaded.

She frowned. "You're her son," she stated.

I nodded and waited for her to continue. "Your mother had a seizure."

"Oh my god! Tell me she's all right."

"It was violent and your sister was too week to keep her on the bed. I'm sorry, but she fell off the bed and hit her head hard which resulted in internal bleeding in the brain and by the time the ambulance arrived she had already..."

I began to cry. I didn't hear what else she had to say. I slid down the wall and held my head in my hands. How could I have let this happen? I knew my mother had seizures but I chose to spend the night with a girl.