Chapter 14

Zayne

They had kissed. I watched her kiss him as if they were meant for each other and no one else existed in the world but them. I didn't know why I felt betrayed and sad when I saw them.

I sat on my bed as I thought about her and him. I knew I pushed her away but I didn't think that she'd jump to the next guy so quickly, that is if everything she said to me was from her heart.

Deciding not to dwell on the matter anymore and accept it I got up and walked to my mothers room. She was waiting for me to tuck her into bed. I lifted her into my arms and lay her on the bed gently.

I was happy that I didn't have to dress my mother because we had a nurse that came over every morning and evening to make sure she was fine.

"Zayne," she called out as I was about to leave.

I turned around and looked at my mother.

"I'm sorry you have to do all this," she apologized.

I sat at the foot of her bed and shook my head. "Don't be sorry for anything, mom," I said, "I love you and it's my duty to look after you and Mara."

I knew my mom hated the fact that I had to look after her and Mara and provide for them but I didn't mind. Sure there was a lot of pressure on me for making the money in the household but I managed by writing for a newspaper and emailing my work to them.

"I just hate this," she said, looking truly miserable.

I nodded. "It's just how it is and I don't blame you for it and you shouldn't either."

"Okay, 'night, honey," she greeted, giving up on our daily banter.

I nodded and went to switch off the television that was playing on my moms wall. As I pressed the on and off button I heard the most horrid sound. The bed was making a rattling sound which was unusual because my mother was paralyzed and she hadn't moved this much in a long while.

I stared in horror for a moment at my mother who was thrashing violently on her bed and I knew that she was having an attack which wasn't common but it was also something my father and I had witnessed before the accident.

I rushed over to my mother and shouted for Mara who seemed to take forever to get to the room.

"Cover your eyes, Mara, and call for an ambulance!" I shouted at her which frightened her.

She nodded and grabbed my phone from my room, dialing the hospital which was on my emergency contacts.

"Tell them mommy is having a seizure," I told her, trying to be as calm as possible.

She nodded and muttered the words to the person on the other side of the phone. "She says not to move her and that they'll be her soon."

I nodded and watched with teary eyes as my mother suffered an attack. I didn't like feeling this way because I was supposed to be the strong one right now but instead I was crying for my mother while my sister tried to not cry and scream.

Not long after Mara called an ambulance arrived and began to stabilize my mother who's attack wasn't as violent anymore. I got in the car and drove with Mara to her friends house after asking if she could sleep there and then dropping her off and telling her that our mom was fine.

After arriving at the hospital I went to the ward I expected my mother to be in and after confirming that she'd just gotten there I sat in the waiting room. Tense and afraid.

*

I nibbled on the chips a nurse had brought for me. She had felt bad for me and saw that I wouldn't eat anytime soon so she had gone and bought me some chips and kept me company but her break was soon over and she'd left me alone and in a daze.