Chapter 22

They say old habits die hard. I realized I've never heard anything more true as I watched the house before me from my window. The Thatcher house was what I knew it as before Zayne but ever since that night he almost hit me with his motorcycle I started calling it Zayne's house. When you know someone you often label the objects they often make use of by their names. Zayne's favorite food, Zayne's locker, Zayne's sister.

I missed him so much. But, his words still stung in my heart. It was unbelievable how he had exposed me just because he was angry and jealous. My most deepest secret.

I didn't know if Zayne was home because there hadn't been a sign of life in his room. I had been watching, hoping to see that he too wasn't doing too well without me in his life.

After eating dinner alone I decided that I just needed to sleep and get my mind off everything wrong in my life. But, sleep didn't want to visit me that night. I was exhausted but I felt insomnia wrap her fingers around my wrist, imprisoning me.

It wasn't long before I heard a soft whisper followed by a pebble hitting the side of my window. Absorbed with curiosity I crept to the window and was met with the familiar figure i had been yearning for.

Zayne had a black hoodie on, shielding his face from the cruel night. When he saw me he frowned and he remembered our last encounter in the school hallway.

"Aurora," he whispered, his voice hoarse.

I didn't know what to say to him. Should I be angry or happy to see him? I opened the window and watched him sigh in relief. "What do you want?"

He rocked back and forth on his feet and tucked his hands into his pockets. "A second chance."

It was a difficult thing to contemplate. I knew that I cared for Zayne and possibly even loved him but I never did forgive easily. I couldn't help but think about how happy he has and could make me but then Bash popped into my mind, reminding me which boy would be the most logical and smart choice.

"Why should I give you a second chance? You've caused me so much hurt and pain!"

Zayne frowned. "Please, Aurora, just let me explain."

I felt so conflicted but I knew I needed an explanation to settle my scattered brain. I nodded at him and held up a finger, signaling for him to wait.

After throwing on some warm clothes I slipped out of the front door, subconsciously still thinking about my dad. Zayne stood at the lawn, waiting patiently.

The wind whipped my hair into my mouth. I didn't realize that the weather was this cool which was unusual. I trudged down the porch steps and stood in front of Zayne. He towered over me.

"Come on," he said and then he began to jog.

I followed and soon I realized that we were jogging to our favorite place. I panted as we ran, feeling sweat begin to lick my skin. I wasn't used to this much running.

"Zayne," I wheezed, "slow down."

We began to walk after that in silence through the familiar woods. The clearing soon came into view and I grinned, missing the place that brought me a lot of comfort in the past and then I thought about how Zayne and I seemed to have always missed each other until the incident.

The grass was longer with fluffy, white dandelions littering the green grass. Our rock stood proudly at the edge of the clearing, beckoning is towards it but Zayne plopped down into the tall grass ignoring the rock.

He patted a spot next to him and I obliged, sitting beside him. Fireflies danced to the rhythmic wave of the wind and provided little light, the moon providing most. The clearing was beautiful at night and I loved listening to the isolated sounds.