Chapter 6

Preston

I watched her put her books in her locker and retrieve the books she needed as I waited for Bash to get his homework. Jess clung to Bash's side as he rummaged in his locker and her group of minions crowded around his locker. Some tried to get my attention but my eyes were fixated on Zoë.

"Pres, you should just give up. She's clearly not interested, man," Bash grumbled.

I shot him a look. "I won't, ever," I replied.

Jess scoffed and her minions laughed at my comment. "I don't understand why you like her. Firstly, she's African-American and Aurora Ellise's best friend," she bitched.

I rolled my eyes at her comment about Zoë being a different race as us. Bash watched intently as I mentally murdered Jess for her stupidity and selfishness. Even though Zoë's skin was another color it didn't effect my love for her because she was beautiful and she was just an amazing woman.

I knew she didn't see it yet but she was capable of so much and in a way I loved the way she was so oblivious to her potential. She had such a kind heart and although she didn't see it I saw it. The little acts of kindness that were unnoticed by the rest of the world--she'd help the freshman around, let people enter rooms before her and she was such an amazing friend to Aurora. Zoë was such an amazing person and I wish she saw how much I loved her, every inch of her.

"Pres, we're gonna be late for practice," Bash warned as he pried Jess's hands off of his shoulder and arm.

I nodded and began to walk to the locker room where Bash and I would get ready for football practice. Coach Dunne was a nice guy but he despised it when one of the team members came late especially the captain and vice captain of the team.

Bash lay a hand on my shoulder. "You okay?" He asked me, "Jess was kind of making that Hulk-look appear on your face when spoke about Zoë."

I chuckled. When Bash and I were growing up we used to give our expressions names of superheroes, thinking it would sound really cool but out of all the names the Hulk-look remained because according to Bash I got the 'look' when someone annoyed or aggravated me which Jess was doing.

"It's just annoying, man," I said, "I don't know why you're still with her though. You're better than her, Bash."

It was true Bash was the most loyal and friendly person I knew and I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he was with Jess Kelp the worst person to be dating, especially in senior year.

"I don't know. I guess I'm afraid that defying the stereotype of football captain dates head cheerleader could make high school something I dread," he admitted, "there is another girl though."

Obviously there was another girl because only the entire football team knew about Bash's crush on Aurora Ellise. I actually applauded that idea because she was Zoë's best friend and she was really sweet and beautiful. They were like a match made in Heaven.

"I know," I simply stated.

Bash's eyebrows knitted in confusion as he watched me put on my football gear. I rolled my eyes at his obliviousness and groaned when he didn't realize that his infatuation was really obvious.

"Aurora Ellise, Zoë's best friend?"

His cheeks tinted red as I reminded him. "Uh, how'd you know?"

I rolled my eyes before I pushed open the doors to the field where the boys were running laps around the football field and the cheerleaders practiced their tosses and shrieked annoyingly. I jogged over to Coach who looked unbothered by our tardiness.

"Sorry we're late, Coach," I apologized and Bash followed in his apology.

Coach nodded and told us to do some dynamic stretching with the team. We nodded and as the team stopped in front of us and lined up we began with a short jog.

"Preston, how?" I looked over at Bash as we began to stretch our calves.

"It's kind of obvious," I replied.

The rest of the team looked over at us as they realized what we were talking about. They began to snigger as Bash looked even more confused than he looked before.

"Oh! Bash's cute crush on Aurora Ellise," Ben sniggered from the far right of the line.

Jackson began making kissing sounds and the rest of the boys began moaning and calling Bash's name as we continued to stretch. I laughed at the boys antics which annoyed Bash to no end.

"Oh! Sebastian!" Hugh squealed in a fake, high pitched girl voice.

Bash scowled and kicked a loose piece of grass at Hugh who continued his antics by giggling like a little girl instead of a teenage girl. Their ridiculous sounded ended when we were done with our stretches and their attention diverted to a new victim.

"Hey, look, it's Zayne Thatcher, schools bad boy," one of the boys said.

And sure enough there was Zayne Thatcher leaning against his motorcycle with a cigarette clenched between his lips as the smoke drifted up into nowhere. I didn't want to judge him because no one knew what the kid's circumstances were but at that moment he really did look like the schools infamous bad boy.

Coach drew our attention away from Zayne and explained what we would be doing today. The team nodded and we got balls from the store room and started with a few passes here and there.

As I glanced to my side I saw Zoë walked down to her car. She watched us in a daze and I couldn't help the goofy grin that was drawn on my face.

"Zoë!" She looked over at me, emotionless. "Hey!"

Before I could comprehend what was happening a ball hit the back of head, knocking me off balance. The boys began to howl in laughter as I stumbled and groaned. Zoë just shook her head she walked to her car without a second glance. I watched her as she left before I looked back at the idiot who hit me with the ball.

"What The hell, Jenson!" I shouted as I threw my arms up in aggravation.

Bash yelled from the other side of the field, "Hulk-look!"

Everyone laughed at the name Bash had given my expression which only left me looking like a pouting child who didn't get their way. I growled at Jenson and ran towards him while Coach protested against our boyishness.

****

Okay! Update! Anyways there's a picture of Preston who is played by Dave Franco who is just bae and I love him and his smile and his overall aura and I wish I knew him but I don't so sad face emoji! Anyways this is a short chapter but it's just revealing Preston's love if you didn't get that before and Bash's secret! So thoughts on this confession.

Please vote and comment!

~Trisha