Chapter 12

"You look hot!"

I glared at Zoë and ran my hand down the lacy material of the dress. "I look like a Christmas elf!"

I loved the dress but I wondered if it was ahead of its time because I knew it wasn't Christmas time yet. Zoë had said it looked great on me and that Zayne would be begging to marry me by the end of the night but I thought she was just losing her mind, as always.

"You don't! Aurora, red is your color so just wear it because I'm done and you need to be there in like five minutes," Zoë growled, tapping her watch.

I sighed. It was too late to change so I grabbed my bag and Zoë and I trudged down the stairs to the front door. My father was out with his friends which relieved me since I didn't have to sneak out in my nice boots.

Zoë patted me on my back before saying, "you're telling me everything tomorrow."

I watched as Zoë got into her car and drove away, leaving me alone in the road with a red dress on and nervous thoughts. So, I took long strides to Zayne's front door and lifted my hand and gently knocked on the door before realizing that there was a patient doorbell on the right side of the door.

Before I could reconsider and run back home with a pounding heart the door swung open and Mara stood beside her mother who sat on her wheelchair, immobile.

"Good evening, Miss Thatcher," I greeted and tried to muster up a nervous smile.

Mara squeals and hugged my shaky legs. "Aurora! You came!"

I giggled. "Of course I came," I replied.

Zayne's mother waited for Mara to push her into the house and she did as soon as she let go of my leg. I followed them into their home.

"Aurora, please call me Clara," Zayne's mother said.

I felt a million bricks fall from my tensed shoulders. Clara seemed like a nice woman and her cheery voice made me feel as if everything that happened in my life was menial.

"Are you sure?" I asked, peering at her.

Clara laughed. "Yes! Mrs Thatcher makes me feel old," she replied.

I laughed too and almost groaned when I saw the food that was laid out on the dinner table. I didn't know she prepared such a delicious feast because it couldn't have Clara.

"Have a seat Zayne should be down just about now," Clara said.

I sat down and hungrily eyed the food before me. My hands were itching to dig in but I knew that would be impolite if I did. And as if to put my uncontrollable hunger to rest Zayne bombarded down the stairs.

"Sorry I'm late the shower door wouldn't..." he looked at me and his eyes lowered and travelled down to my black boots, "...budge."

I didn't know what to say. Zayne looked handsome and attractive. His black jeans and his white dress shirt that's sleeves were rolled up to his elbows made me want to melt into a heap of hormones.

"Aurora, you look beautiful," he complimented.

I blushed at his compliment. "You too," I instantly replied.

"Okay, sit, Zayne," Clara said from the other side of the table.

I felt embarrassed for gawking at her son but by the look on Clara's face she seemed pretty satisfied with Zayne and I's reactions.

When Zayne sat Clara announced that we were allowed to start eating. I watched as Zayne asked his mother what she wanted to eat and how much of it before he began to lift the spoon to her mouth. I felt a wave of sadness wash over me and then I felt selfish for wanting to eat the food which Clara had probably wanted to eat too but she had to wait for her son to feed her.