Chapter 8

The front door creaked before slamming shut. My father had gone on his jog. I knew he only went on weekends and even though he had said he just jogged around the block it always took him three hours or more to get back home. I always took advantage of these hours by inviting Zoë over or by cleaning the house if it needed cleaning.

Today was different though. I woke up and looked out of my bedroom window only to find Zayne outside on his lawn with a mower. Normally, I would've dismissed this but after a couple of days ago, I couldn't stop but feel some sort of attraction to him which felt wrong.

He was the school's bad boy and no one who knew him liked him so that meant that I should've been included in the lot but I wasn't anymore. I kept telling myself that he was a bad boy but my subconscious always found some way to prove me wrong. Zayne had listened to me when I was drunk and maybe it was curiosity that kept him around but he also walked me home to make sure I was safe, he also spent the night with me once when my father had said horrid things to me to--again--keep me safe and two days ago when he'd made me laugh I knew that Zayne wasn't a bad boy but maybe he was just judged by his actions which no one has any explanation for.

But as I shamefully watched him from my bedroom window he wasn't seen as a bad boy but rather as an Adonis. Zayne had removed his wife beater to relieve the heat.

I felt like I was doing something wrong as I admired his body from afar. His biceps flexed as he pushed the mower around the lawn and his stomach muscles hardened at the effort he made.

Suddenly, my phone rang making me leap in fright.

"Hello?"

"Rori, its crazy over hear! Child number five is such a brat and I just need to get out so can we like meet somewhere?" Zoë asked.

I laughed at Zoë. "Uh, I don't know..." I didn't want to miss the beautiful sight of Zayne Thatcher mowing his lawn.

"Aurora," Zoë started, "are you with Thatcher?"

I could practically hear the smirk on my friends face. "Not exactly," I hesitated.

Zoë barked out a laugh. "Okay, continue your stalk just don't do anything I wouldn't do," She said.

I let out a giggle and assured her that I was probably not going to do anything but Zoë didn't believe me and decided to give me tips on how to get his attention.

"Bikini! It's warm outside and you said he's mowing the grass so go and wash your car," she suggested.

I had a car but I haven't had the chance to take my drivers test to get my licence because my father was always too drunk to take me. It sucked but I didn't mind because I was sure I wouldn't even use my car often.

"I don't know," I said, thinking about the suggestion.

Zoë huffed on the other end of the line before she groaned. "Rori..." she dragged out, "your body is enviably curvaceous and evenly toned and I really don't know why you are so hesitant."

Zoë was right my body was perfectly curvy and evenly toned but even though I knew that I still felt self conscious over my body. I thought for a second and looked out of the window at Zayne but I never saw him.

"Zoë, I think he's finished," I said, panicking.

My eyes scanned his lawn and all the other lawns surrounding his, including my lawn but Zayne was not in sight.