Chapter 30

There was an excited buzz in the air as all the seniors gathered on the football field, ready to commence the graduation ceremony. The black robes hung off of everyone's bodies and gave them an indescribable elegance.

Today was the day that I'd be able to look back on high school and smile at the memories I had made, that is every memory before senior year. Zayne still clouded my mind, but I had decided to go on with life and avoid the trouble that Zayne was, this was for my own good.

So, I continued life and started going to school again, visiting my dad and just occasionally gazing out of my window into but his blinds were always shut. I knew I'd see him today and I wasn't sure how I'd handle that, but I knew I'd be proud today and walk away a happy high school graduate.

"Are you ready for this?" Zoë asked me.

"Are you?"

She grinned and shook her head. "It's crazy to think we're leaving this place."

I gazed at the school and nodded my head. It was crazy. It feels like it was just days ago that I walked into the doors as a freshman, oblivious to what my future held for me. Oblivious to him.

"You better clap when I give my class valedictorian speech," Preston said, hugging Zoë and then me.

"I'll whistle for you," I said.

Zoë snorted. "Only if it's good."

They began to banter so I left them to it and went to find my seat. As the ceremony began everyone found their seats and anticipated hearing their name be called. A few speeches passed and then they began to hand out our diplomas and awards.

My heart stopped when I heard his name.

"Zayne Thatcher..."

He walked up onto the stage, his robe obeying the force of wind and stretching away from his body, exposing his tux he wore underneath. His hair was gelled, but had begun to fall into his multicolored eyes. He grinned and shook the principals hand before collecting his certificate and looking out into the crowd, his eyes landing on me, before he continued off of the stage.

I suddenly felt unsettled. I anxiously watched the ceremony continue and when they called my name I avoided looking at the rest of my class, afraid my eyes would land on him. It bothered me that he had this effect on me, even though he hadn't even made an effort to come and see how I was doing. I couldn't help but wonder why he looked so well. Did his life suddenly improve ever since we fell apart?

"This wouldn't be happening if I'd just stayed with her. I promised myself that my mom came first and anyone else didn't even have a hierarchy but you, you made me forget that and that's why my mother, my mommy is lying there, dead."

Suddenly, Preston's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Good morning, how are you all today? Well I hope, I mean you guys just graduated! Yes, we all graduated today and I think it's safe to say that this year was rough. Senior year is never the best year, because a lot happens and life catches up as well as some unexpected events, but it's over now. As Class Valedictorian there's a lot of things I can say to you about academics and whatnot, but that's not what any of us want to hear. So, I am going to ask you one question..."

His eyes landed on me and then they scanned the crowd.

"...was it worth it? Was what you did worth it or who you did it with or even when you did it? Did you leave a legacy behind? Did you find something none of us can dream to find within yourselves or perhaps someone? Was it worth it? I'm sure no one wants to walk out here with regrets. So, as I end off my speech and wishing you a prosperous life, I'll leave you with this question and you can answer it. Was it worth it? Thank you."