twenty-four

-soo byul pov

"oh shit waddup," i said, dabbing while passing seong-im's sulky self. she was automatically tying up her hair, as if i would magically channel through the dimensions of time and bring out another cup of lemonade. 

she then did the finger to me, twirled around and stomped her feet. i really need to learn more curse words in sign language. 

areum was currently at jae's house, probably just watching barbie life in the dream house (poor jae). 

jimin, on the other side of the hospital, was currently treating a rather flirty woman who specially called on him to help. i didn't worry too much, though, because i trusted the man of life who slapped boob-abusing teens and spilled lemonade on the women who called me foul names. 

get yourself a man like jimin.

after spending fifteen dollars on five jumbo pack m&m's, i started skipping towards seokjin, who was busy looking at the mirror. 

how is the fate of our patients in the hands of this man, i don't know.

"yo, seokjin. is there anything for me to do tod-"

"well, it would be great if you would take care of the little kid patient who just broke his arm. please take a look at him, the other doctors don't want to take the job- oh, never mind, namjoon got it. well, then, can you go-"

before he could say anymore (and to my happiness), seokjin got a call.

"hello? who is this? yes, this is the manager of the seoul national hospital... oh, are the one who wanted to apply for a job? yes, we'll take note of you. we're very picky about who we choose. this hospital requires residents to demonstrate knowledge of established and evolving biomedical, clinical, epidemiological, and social-behavioral sciences, as well as the application of this knowledge to-"

i ran away. no way i was gonna deal with seokjin's blabber.

without stopping, i decided to go to jimin. perhaps after this we could go buy something for jae and areum, they really wanted the matching lollipops that we saw at walmart.

however, the moment when i saw the situation jimin was dealing with, everything in my mind evaporated.

"aw, no darling, of course i haven't been drinking! well, maybe just three cups of alcohol, but i couldn't help it! by the way, what's your number? we should TOTALLY hit up sometime, ya know?" the woman burped. 

even worse, that woman was pregnant.

jimin ruffled his hair, face stern and concerned. "you know that the alcohol you drank can pass from the your blood into the baby's blood. it can damage and affect the growth of the baby's cells. brain and spinal cord cells are most likely to have damage- it's not pretty, ma'am. stop drinkin-"

the woman stood up, eyes out of focus. i supposed she was drunk.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE BABY WILL BE HARMED? MY BABY IS SAFE WITH ME, SCREW THAT USELESS HUSBAND OF MINE. HE DITCHED ME FOR ANOTHER WOMAN, RIGHT WHEN I TOLD HIM I WAS PREGNANT, I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST HIM, I THOUGHT THAT HE LOVED ME... BUT WHERE'S THAT PIG NOW, HUH? I, I-" the woman angrily took off her wedding ring and threw it on the floor, stomping on the ring as everyone watched her silently.

for once, jimin didn't know what to do.

no one made a sound as the woman started weeping, rubbing her unborn baby in the process. i furrowed my eyebrows. 

this wasn't right.

i walked over to the woman and held her shoulders, standing up to her face to face as her tears never stopped dripping down.