Chapter 35: Failure

Start from the beginning

"Communications disabled." Megan explained. "Repulsion disabled."

Artemis shot an arrow at the ship and a thick, hard, substance covered the opening.

"E.T.'s are sealed inside." Artemis established.

Kaldur and I took the que and used our elemental powers to force the ship down into the frozen water. Him weakening the ice and me forcing the ship down. The ship was about to vaporize Kaldur when Wolf grabbed a hold of the canon and redirected the attack. Wally and Rob were up next, Rob pulling up a holo-screen.

"Identifying weapon structural stress points and links to the ship...Here, here and here." Robin announced and Megan broke the points, making it open for Conner to grab the canon and begin the tear it off.

From my location, I saw to disk-like things fall and begin to glow; pointing at Conner.

"Conner, look out!" I exclaim, but before anyone could do anything: Wolf jumped in front of the attack and took it for Conner, causing the animal to disappear.

"Wolf..." Megan muttered, and Robin looked back at his screen.

"There was no indication of feedback...I'm sorry." Robin said.

"Nothing we can do for him now." Conner said bravely. "Let's go."

Finally, after one last tug: the canon detached, and Megan and Conner moved over to the bio-ship to connect it.

"Rerouting systems to integrate weapon into bio-ship's matrix." Megan explained. "I may need to de-camo for a few minutes."

"We may not have a few minutes!" Robin said urgently and we turned to see two alien ships closing in on us.

"Miss Martian, open fire!" Kaldur ordered.

"Can't, weapon systems are offline to incorperate the new canon!" Megan explained. "And that's not fully integrated yet either."

Artemis and I shared a look, "Everyone move!" "We've got you covered."

Artemis shot a flurry of arrows as I tried to push the ships off-course, which I managed to do to one. From the corner of my eye, I saw the other ship begin to aim at Artemis.

"Artemis!" I screamed. "Behind you!"

But it was too late.

Before my eyes, the beam shot and hit Artemis square on and just like the league: she disappeared.

"Artemis!" I scream, faltering in my attack.

"Get inside." Kaldur commanded as he ran out, lashing a violent water attack. "All of you!"

Faltering at first, I manage to force my legs to move as I dash towards the bio-ship, Kaldur right behind me.
***

As the bio-ship flew, I sat in a ball, hugging myself, as I let my grief and guilt crash into me. The league was gone, Red was gone, Artemis was gone!

I should have saved her...pushed her out of the way or something! But I couldn't even move! I was too damn scared that I couldn't even save one of my best friends! I took the one damn reason you used to justify becoming a hero and I failed! And now I have no mentor, no sassy-archer-girl-friend, and God knows if my family's still alive! She was my younger Damnit! She had so much potential and now it's gone, she's gone! And it's all my fault.

My nails dug into my arms as tears flooded onto my cheeks and sobs racked my body.

All my fault...All my fault...All my fault...