Chapter 22

Soul flashed down the halls, past doors, and students that looked at him like he was crazy. But he didn't care. All that mattered...was her.

He stopped at the doorway an looked into the room. His heart beating so fast it could easily fly out of his chest.

In the room stood Stein standing beside the bed, how he go there so fast, he didn't know.  Spirit was at the end gazing over the bed at-

"M-Maka" Soul mutters softly.

Her eyes shift away from the others and only at Soul. Their eyes meet, his heart skips a beat. A smile spreads across her face slowly, "S...Soul?" She asks, as if she could barely recognize him.

She lifted her arms outward.

Soul didn't wait a moment more. He flew into room, wrapping his arms around Maka. Her arms closed around his body as her chin sat upon his shoulder.

Spirit made a glance at Stein, and they both nodded before leaving the room, the door swinging shut behind them.

"You're okay" They both say a the same time. Soul knew that she was weak, and that e should release he...but he couldn't. But he did it anyway, he let his arms fall as he leaned back gazing a his lost partner. Her skin was pale, blue and purple veins suck out in her arms. Bruises and cuts of all shapes and sizes spread up her arm, and neck. Soul was too afraid to ask.

"How are you?" Soul asked gently.

"I'm okay...glad to be home" She smiles. Her smile, what Soul missed the most.

"W- When can you leave?" He asked.

"Not for a while, I guess I was really beaten up"

"W- You don't remember?"

She shakes her head, "All I remember is us fighting, then...waking up here"

Soul smiled...thank god. 

'What?" She asked.

His hand reached over and carefully cupped the side of her face, "I'm just...happy you're okay"