Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Liss sat cross-legged on the floor within a circle of candles, their flames dancing merrily around her. She watched nervously as Cedric did a few last minute preparations.

Hunter sat on the floor outside the circle. He watched her closely, sensing her growing apprehension. "It's okay, Liss. I'm right here," he told her. "If anything goes wrong, I'll be through that circle in a heartbeat. I promise you."

"Thanks, Hunter," Cedric called from across the room. "It's nice to know you have so much faith in me."

He shrugged. "You never know what might happen. I don't take chances when it comes to her, you know that."

Raven came into the room. "Do you doubt my husband again, Hunter?"

Cedric looked over at her. "Yeah. He thinks I might mess this up."

"Well, it is his Princess we're talking about."

"I know, I know."

"Cedric," Liss spoke from inside the circle. "I have faith in you."

He smiled. "Thank you, little red. I'm glad someone does."

Hunter cast a glance in her direction. "Suck up."

She stuck her tongue out at him in reply.

"Now, children," Raven chided as she sat in a chair next to the wall. She turned and looked at her husband. "Are we ready?"

Cedric walked over and looked down at the circle. "I do believe so." He moved to a table, lifting a bowl containing various herbs, then walked over to Hunter. He stared down at him. "If you're going to be in the way, you might as well be useful."

Hunter rose to his feet. "What do you need?"

Cedric handed him the bowl. "Once I'm in the circle with the Princess, sprinkle this around the outside."

Hunter nodded, watching him step within. Once his brother-in-law was totally inside, he began to sprinkle the mixture.

Inside, Cedric took a bag of red powder out of his pocket and started mirroring Hunter's circle on the inside of the candles.

Once the two circles were complete, the men stopped, and looked at each other.

"It'll be okay, Hunter," Cedric told him. "She'll be safe."

He nodded reluctantly and went to stand by his sister.

Cedric turned and looked at Liss. "How you doing, little red?"

She swallowed slowly, shaking slightly. She remembered all too well what happened last time she helped them with magic. "Okay," she breathed. "I'm alright."

"Good. Are you ready?"

"Yeah. Let's do this."

He watched a beat longer, then reached into his pocket. Pulling a vial of amber liquid from it, he shook it slowly, applying some to his thumb. "Close your eyes, luv," he spoke softly.

Liss took a deep breath and did as she was told, waiting.

Placing his thumb to her forehead, he rubbed the liquid across in a straight line.

She shivered. The stuff felt like ice across her skin.

Cedric stepped back. "Now, leave your eyes closed. Breathe in and out slowly and concentrate. I'm going to try to follow the echo of your powers. I need you to open yourself up and allow me to channel through you. Can you do that for me, little red?"