Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Liss checked on the wolf sleeping soundly on her bed. Her father bandaged Hunter up as best as he could. Though, he could have done a better job if Hunter could have changed back. Sure, she'd have a lot of explaining to do, but at least she would've known he was really okay.

"How's he doing?" Jerry asked from the doorway.

She watched as Hunter's chest rose and fell peacefully, running her fingers through the fur on his head. "He's doing better."

"Good," he said, stepping into the room.

"He's immortal, so I guess his life was never really in danger."

He shook his head as he walked up beside her. "I don't know. It was touch and go there for a while."

She turned and looked at him. "Thank you," she said, throwing her arms around him. "Not many guys would've done what you did tonight."

"Not many guys know you, now do they?" he whispered as he held her. They stayed that way for a few minutes, then Jerry pulled back and looked down at her. "I know how much you care about him. I'd do it the same way every single time."

She looked over at the bed. "He'd have done the same for you."

"I know. He loves you as much as I do."

"Are you okay with that?"

Jerry thought for a moment. "Yeah, I am. It's kind of nice to know there's someone else out there who would do anything in his power to keep you safe. Besides..." He cast a sideways glance at Hunter. "I'm kind of fond of the furball."

Liss laughed. "Must have been some talk you two had."

"Oh, yeah. It was very informative."

"So...you know then."

"Liss," he said, looking her in the eye. "Anyone would just have to look at you two to know, but yeah, I know you were married."

"Wow, he really held nothing back, did he?"

He shrugged. "He believes in being honest from the start. I think it's something to do with an old code of his."

"Sounds about right."

"Liss, I want you to know..."

"Wait," she said, stopping him. "There's something I need you to know first. When I said I was yours, I meant it. You're the one I'm supposed to be with right now. Hunter and I both know that."

Jerry looked away. "But...you love him."

She sighed. "Yes, I do. I always will. I can't help that. But I'm in love with you. I choose you, Gerald Bradford."

He frowned but pulled her close. "I don't know about this."

"What? You don't want to be with me?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying. It's just...I don't know. This guy has given up his life to protect you for the last five-hundred-years. How do I top that?"

"You don't have to top it. No one ever expects something like that from a person." She looked at the wolf. "I wish to God he hadn't done it. He gave up way too much for just...me."

"Liss," he began, wrapping his arms tighter around her, "you never give yourself enough credit. Hunter and I both know how special you are. I would have done the same thing had I been in that position."

"Don't say that, Jare. Please," she whispered into his chest. "I don't want you to get any ideas about sacrificing yourself for me."

They were both quiet for a moment.

Finally, he looked down at her and spoke, "Are you sure about this, Liss? About being with me? I mean, I'm the interloper, not him. I'd understand."

Liss looked up at him. "Jerry, I want you. I may have been with him in my past and God only knows who I might end up with in the lifetimes this journey takes me to. But I give you this life. I want to spend it with you. I hope that can be enough."

"Baby," Jerry whispered, bringing his lips to hers. "I think a lifetime is enough to ask from anyone."