Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"There you go," Ben said, sliding the closed sign into place.

"Thanks," Richard, the closing supervisor, said as he ushered him to the front door and unlocked it.

"Where's Jackie?"

"I don't know. Jackie?" the supervisor called into the store.

"Coming, Richard. I'm coming," she spoke from one of the aisles. She suddenly popped into view. "I forgot my purse." She secured the purse strap over her shoulder and grabbed the bike leaning by the door.

"Good night, you two," Richard said as he helped her wheel her bike out. "I'll see you tomorrow." He stepped back into the store, locking the door behind him.

Jackie pulled her jacket tightly around her. "It's kind of chilly tonight, isn't it?"

Ben hugged his own jacket closer. "Yeah, it sure is." He tugged absently at his collar, thinking about what he was going to say to Liss. "We should head home before we freeze to death."

"I'll walk you to your truck."

He smiled at her. He had some time. "Okay."

They headed towards the far end of the empty parking lot. His blue truck stood next to Richard's gray sedan. A gust of wind whipped by them as they walked, causing them to huddle closer together.

"You know what, Ben?" she spoke, pushing her bike forward.

He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. The wind danced in her hair, causing wild black ringlets to whip around her face. His breath caught in his throat. She was beautiful, an exotic painting come to life. "What?" he finally managed to get out.

"I like it when we work together," she said, then giggled. "Well, I don't like the work part, but I enjoy spending time with you."

Ben looked at her, heart racing. This evening was taking a turn for the better. "Really?"

"The night drags when you're not here."

They reached his truck. He turned, looking at her, sincerity in his eyes. "No, trust me. You're the one who makes work bearable."

Jackie laughed, like wind chimes in the night.

He never heard a more beautiful sound. Yes, he had definitely been after the wrong girl.

"Don't sell yourself short," she told him. "You make everyone's life more entertaining."

Entertaining, huh? Was that all she thought of him? He shrugged. "Yep, that's me. Mr. Entertainment." He turned away, opening the driver's door. "I'll see you tomorrow." He slipped into the truck, shutting the door behind him. Leaning out the window, he said softly, "Good night, Jackie."

She smiled at him. "Good night, Ben." Leaning over, she kissed him on the cheek. "I will definitely see you tomorrow," she whispered, her breath hot on his cheek. Still smiling, she got on her bike.

Ben sat there, staring at her in shock. Maybe she meant entertaining in a good way? He swallowed thickly, finally finding his breath. "Uh, Jackie?"

Looking back over her shoulder, she arched one perfect eyebrow. "Yes, Ben?"

"Would you like a ride home?" he asked her. "We could throw your bike in the back."

She smiled again, reminding him of a certain cat. "I might as well ride home tonight. Don't want to waste the chance to get some exercise."