Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Liss sat next to Sarah, staring at the blank notebook in front of her. She had homework she needed to finish, but the words wouldn't come. All she could think about was the fire at the Granary and how her dream mirrored it perfectly.

She glanced around the library. They were the only ones there. It wasn't surprising, though. An accident of this proportion didn't go unfelt in a place like Night Oak.

Her heart ached for all the students who hadn't come to school, those who'd been touched personally by the tragedy.

Sighing, she set her pen down. Death had come to their small town and decided to stay.

Whatever happened, though, she couldn't let it take up permanent residence.

She knew something was in town and it needed to be stopped, but how? She had no answer for that. She couldn't do anything about it, except stand there while everyone around her died. She brushed angrily at the tear which slid from the corner of her eye. Yeah, crying was going to solve everything.

She felt eyes on her. She glanced up, realizing Sarah was staring at her.

Her friend was silent for a moment, looking thoughtful. Finally, she spoke, "Are you okay, Liss?"

Liss groaned. "If this is going to turn into one of those psycho-therapy sessions, you can save it, Dr. Phil. I don't want to hear it."

"I'm sorry. I'm just worried."

"I am, too, Sarah."

"This is too much," she said, chewing her lip. "I mean, hasn't this town had enough bad luck to last a lifetime?"

"You think the explosion was a coincidence?"

Sarah blinked. "Well, yeah. Don't you?"

Liss closed her eyes, seeing the flames once again and the red eyes staring down at her. "No. I don't"

"I know weird things are happening right now, but I don't think everything in the world has to do with..."

"With what, Sarah? What were you going to say? With me?"

Sarah shrugged, looking at her. "Yeah. That's it exactly. Not everything is about you. I don't know what it means, but not everything is a message for you."

Liss stared at the girl across from her. How could she say something like that? "How long have you known me, Sarah?"

"I don't know. Sometimes, lately, it seems like I don't know you at all."

Liss blinked back tears. "Maybe you should put a little more faith in me." She stood up, grabbing her things. "I don't know how to convince you any other way." She turned and stumbled into someone. "Sorry," she muttered absently, stepping around them.

Hands shot out, gently steadying her. "Are you okay?"

Looking up, Liss found herself staring into green eyes. "Mark."

Sarah was at their side in an instant. "Hey, how's it going?"

He looked at Liss a beat longer, then let his gaze drift over to her. "Better than some people, I see."

"Yeah. She's been having a rough time lately."

Liss took a step back, frowning at her friend. "Yeah, and it keeps getting worse. I've got to go."

"Hey, wait. I wanted to talk to you," Mark said, stopping her.

Liss noticed the hopeful look in his eyes. She'd only talked to this guy once. What could be so important? "What is it?"