Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The air clung heavily against his skin as he made his way down the hill. The cemetery lay before him as he cleared the trees. He knew this place by heart. He'd taken this journey so many times before, just never for this reason. He guessed he'd have to face it. Nothing was what it used to be.

He stepped onto the road, staring at the cemetery gate. Ominous gray clouds loomed overhead. They threatened to break open and send the world back to the days of Noah and his ark.

"How fitting," he muttered. "Perfect weather for a funeral."

He stepped through the gate and hurried into the trees, eyes carefully scanning the graveyard. People gathered in groups as more hurried in the gate and up the road. He followed them along, ducking behind gravestones here and there, taking extra care not to be seen. It wasn't time for that yet.

Lightning flashed and thunder boomed. Rain would soon follow. It always did.

It wouldn't wash away things this time, though. Nope, not at all. Nothing could cleanse the evil that was coming to this quiet, little town. He was sure of that.

He turned his attention to the groups of people standing around, softly comforting each other. He watched them, looking for the girl. He knew she'd be there.

It was time for Liss to know, time for her to see.

He watched the lighting flare again and decided to wait a little while longer. He had all the time in the world now.