Chapter 50

Chapter 50

Liss was in her room, lying on her bed. Yawning slightly, she checked the clock. She'd been asleep for two hours. Maybe her mom would let her get away with that. There were so many things racing through her head right now, it was a wonder she'd gotten any sleep at all.

Since remembering who she was, a certain sense of dread was building in her. It was something she didn't want to face, but if she was to ever have any hope of defeating her brother, it would need to be addressed. She was afraid of what it might mean.

Her door opened, squeaking loudly. She looked up to see Hunter pad into the room, his tail wagging slightly.

She closed her eyes with a sigh. She didn't want to admit her fears to him. Not when he was so sure of her and what she could accomplish. She felt the weight on the edge of the bed as someone sat down. Opening her eyes, she looked at Hunter, who sat there in human form.

Studying her for a second, he finally spoke, "What's wrong, Princess?"

"Nothing."

"It's no use lying to me, Liss. I've known you far too long. I know when something's troubling you."

"It's nothing. Really."

"You know there's nothing you can't talk to me about. I'm here to help no matter what."

She thought for a moment. "How many lives have I been through?"

"More than I care to admit."

"That first life, I remember it all as clear as yesterday, but those other lives...not so much. Just pieces here and there and those are pretty fuzzy."

"It's always like that. You can be made to remember those if you wanted, but it's probably best if you didn't."

"Do I usually get my powers right away or does that take time?"

He looked at her, a wrinkle forming in his brow. "Why do you ask that, Princess?"

She looked away. "I don't think I have my powers."

"But that's impossible."

She closed her eyes. "I knew it. I've messed something up. I've turned into a total screw-up."

"Liss, look at me," he told her sternly, causing her eyes to open. "You're not a screw-up. You never have been. You never will be. It's not your fault most of what people expect from you is usually the impossible." He smiled at her. "I've seen you do the impossible, though. I've seen you give up everything you have to protect those you love. I know for a fact you'd be willing to sacrifice everything you are just to save one life, let alone the world. So don't you dare sit there and tell me what a failure you are...because I know the real you. I know the things you have done. Hell, I've been by your side for most of them and no screw-up could ever pull off the stuff you do. Okay?"

Liss stared at him, not sure what to say.

"And as for you not having your powers..." He stopped and looked at her. "Give me your hand."

She raised it, palm facing him.

Putting his hand against hers, he entwined their fingers. Closing his eyes, he waited for a moment. A faint blue light emitted from their joined hands. He stayed still as if listening to something far away. Finally, he opened his eyes and looked at her, the light subsiding as he did.

"What is it?"

Hunter's eyes widened. "I don't know. There's a tiny pulse of magic in you, kind of like a faint humming, but nothing even close to what you normally have." He shook his head. "I don't know why I didn't sense it earlier. Something's not right."

Worry flooded her heart. "Are we wrong?" she whispered to him. "Am I not the one this time?"

He shook his head again. "No. You're the one. You'll always be the one. The problem lies not with you, but with something else." He took his hand away from hers. "We've got to talk to Raven. We need to fix you before Mark tries again."

Liss sat up, frowning. "Are my parents home?"

"No. Your mom left right before I came up here. Your dad hasn't come back yet."

"Good. Mom probably wouldn't let me out of the house without a few more hours sleep."

"Normally, I wouldn't either," he told her. "But this is too important. We need to do everything we can to keep you safe. And, well, right now, without your powers..."

"I'm a sitting duck," she finished for him.

"Yeah," he said. "Unfortunately, you are."

She was silent, lost in thought. "Dad really hasn't come home yet?"

"No. He probably thinks it's a good idea to keep some distance between the two of you."

"Well, I guess it's a good thing. I wouldn't know what to say to him anyway."

Hunter growled softly. "I know exactly what I'd say to your father. Most of which he wouldn't take very kindly to, especially coming from the family dog."

She frowned, putting her hand over his. "You know you're more than that, right?"

He looked up into her eyes. "I know I use to be, but...lately, I seem better suited for the part of the faithful canine companion."

Liss bit her lip as she felt the familiar sting in her eyes. What was she supposed to say to that? She knew there wasn't anything she could say that would make him feel better. He deserved better than this. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"No, Liss," Hunter said, lifting her chin so she'd have to look at him. "Don't apologize. I don't blame you." He sighed, taking her hands into his.

"Hunter..."

"No, listen," he told her. "It's not your fault we've been put in this position. It's not your fault. It's not my fault." He stopped. "Hell, it's not even Jerry's fault. It's just the way it is."

"But..."

"This is something I've learned to deal with a long time ago, Liss. I might be the same exact person I was five-hundred-years ago, but you're not. Every time you're reborn, your soul grows all over again. You learn. You change. You adapt. You become a different person." He smiled at the look in her eyes. "Don't get me wrong. You become a better person every time because that's what we're meant to do. Learn and grow. You're around new people and new situations. You grow up with a totally different support system. It's only right you should develop feelings for those people around you. That shouldn't change because I show up." He searched her eyes for a moment. "This is where you're meant to be right now and he's the one you're meant to be with. I'm okay with that."

"Hunter...," Liss said, wiping a tear from her eye. "I wish it could be different."

"Don't cry, Princess," he said, pulling her into his arms. "I'm okay with this. My main goal in life is to keep you safe and happy. If I can manage that, then I'm good."

"I don't deserve you."

He chuckled. "Probably not, but you're stuck with me."

Pulling out of his arms, she looked at him. "You're pretty good at this speech," she told him, curiosity in her voice. "How many times have we had this talk?"

"Quite a few, I'm afraid."

"God, what I put you through."

"Hey," he said, getting up from the bed. "What did I say? No more feeling guilty. Okay? Now, I think it's time to pay my sister a visit."