(Part III: The Fall) Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Grabbing her bags out of the back of the car, Liss headed out of the garage, into the house. Part of her wished they hadn't returned to town, but she knew what was at stake now. This was where she needed to be.

She walked into the living room, feeling all eyes move directly to her. She looked at them as she sat her bags down. "Is this going to become a habit?"

"We're sorry," Rob said. "It's just...you're different now."

"No. I'm not. I'm still me."

"I know. It's just weird."

"I don't think it's weird at all," Jerry disagreed. "It kind of makes sense. We all knew Liss was special."

"Yeah, but...a princess? With her own royal guard?" He motioned to Hunter curled up on the floor. "Not to mention, she's also part of this age-old battle between good and evil. Don't get me wrong, Liss. I still love ya, but even you've got to admit it's weird."

She laughed. "I know, Robbie. I agree, but it doesn't change anything. I'm still me. Besides...now we know what we're up against." She sat down in one of the chairs across from the couch.

Jerry looked at her. "Last night, Sarah said something about marking your brother as your own. Does that mean he has a symbol on him, too?"

Rob looked at him. "Too?"

He looked back over at Liss and shrugged.

She sighed. It was time to embrace who she really was, which included accepting everything about her. "Yeah, Robbie, Mark and I have both been marked. I assume it's a way of knowing when we have found each other. I also think it's sort of a brand left by Mark's god." She shrugged. "You know, you're both my property sort of deal."

Hunter looked up, growling softly.

She looked at him. "I know. I don't like it either." Standing up, she walked to the couch, carefully undoing the wrist brace from her arm. "I guess I don't need this anymore. It doesn't matter what people think now." She tossed the brace on the coffee table, staring down at her wrist. The arrow stood there, dark against her pale skin.

"That's why you wear that brace," Rob commented, putting two and two together. "Can I see?"

She held out her wrist to him.

He lightly ran a finger over it, studying it. "It's like a tattoo."

"She's had that ever since she was born," Jerry told him.

Rob looked up at her and smiled wanly. "And, of course, your father wouldn't want the world to know you're different."

"Of course."

Jerry frowned at her. "What is Mark's?"

"From what I remember, it's an arrow pointing down. I think it shows we're mirror images of each other. We're the same, but represent the two ends of the spectrum. Light and Dark. Good and evil."

Jerry shook his head. "You two are nothing alike."

She looked at him. "We're twins, Jare. Whether we like it or not, there will always be a part of our essence that's the same."

Mrs. Taylor stepped into the room and stopped, taking in the somber mood. "Well, I guess the party really is over. Anything I can do to help?"

Liss closed her eyes, rubbing the back of her neck. "I don't know," she said, walking back over to the chair and taking a seat. "I'm not sure what our next step should be."

"Well, that's easy."

Liss looked at her mother. "What?"

"You guys are dead on your feet. You were up all night. You need some sleep."

"Not all night. We're fine."

"No, you're not," she addressed her daughter. "If I understand any of what's going on around here, you're going to need to stay sharp. You can't do that in this condition." Mrs. Taylor smiled slightly. "Now, I'm invoking my parental right and telling you all to get some rest. After, you can sit around and powwow until your heart's content."

"Now you sound like Dad. Invoking your parental right."

"I'm sorry, but you really do need some rest, Melissa." She started toward the dining room. "I'll be outside, watering the flowers if you need me. Hunter, let's go outside, boy."

Raising his head, he looked at Liss. She could practically feel the need to roll his eyes.

She chuckled softly. "Go on. It's okay," she said, nudging him gently with her foot.

He rose slowly, glaring at her the entire time as he turned and padded after Mrs. Taylor.

When they were out of earshot, Rob laughed. "That's pretty funny now we know he's human. I should go outside with them and see if I can make him play Frisbee."

"Oh, he'd make you pay. Trust me."

He shrugged. "I was only kidding. I think it's funny he has to act like a real dog in front of your parents, though." He stood up. "I'll see if my mom's home, Jare. If she is, we can crash at her place for a while." He headed towards the kitchen.

Liss looked over at Jerry. "His mom's back in town?"

"Yeah, she got back last week. He's been staying with her, much to his father's dismay."

"One thing I have to say, I'm awfully glad my parents are still together. I wouldn't want to stay with my dad."

Jerry shrugged. "I don't think you'd have to worry; he'd be too busy for you anyway."

"That's probably the truth."

Jerry took a deep breath. "Come here," he said, patting the couch next to him.

She didn't need to be asked twice.

He arched an eyebrow at her as she sat down. "So twins, huh?"

She nodded.

"That's why you felt like he was a part of you?"

She nodded again.

"So, I guess you still need a boyfriend, huh?"

She smiled slightly. "Yeah, I guess I do. You wouldn't happen to know anyone qualified, would you?"

Jerry didn't even bother keeping up the game. Pulling her close, he kissed her.

She let him take control. This is what she wanted ever since he showed up at her grandparents' house. She'd missed him, but it had been her pride that kept her from acting.

Pulling back slightly, he whispered, "I'm sorry, baby, so sorry. I'll never doubt you again."

Liss looked him in the eyes. "It's you I want, Jare. You're the one I'm supposed to share this life with. No matter what other feelings I might have or what has happened in my past. It's the here and now that we have. And I swear to you, I am yours."

"I was such a fool to think anything else. I love you."

"I love you, too...even if you are a fool."

"Well, you know, every princess should have a fool."

"Not you, too."

He shrugged. "What can I say? It's not every day you find out your girl's a princess."

"Let's not make this a big deal, okay?"

"As you wish, your highness."

She growled. "That's it...to the dungeon with you."

"See," he said, kissing her gently. "It's kind of funny."

"I've yet to find the humor in this situation, Jare."

"That's all we can do, sweetie. Find the humor in all of this, or lose our minds." He smiled at her after a second. "But then again you don't actually have to worry, your dad already thinks you have."

Liss rolled her eyes. "We are not amused."