Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Liss followed the path leading from her grandparent's house. She loved walking along the worn trail. Moving through the trees as fast as her feet would carry her, she emerged into a perfectly round clearing. It was here, her grandfather had built his own campground.

Picnic tables were scattered about here and there, a volleyball net and a kickball diamond flagging the sides of the clearing. There were perfect foundations on which to pitch tents, and towards the back of the clearing, there were even a few small cabins for those who didn't actually want to rough it. Passed the cabins, was a small playground, complete with a slide and swings.

She headed to the center of the clearing, her attention on what lay there. Benches and logs surrounded a huge fire ring, the perfect place for a late night campfire. It was her favorite place in the whole camp.

Every summer, since they were little, she and her friends would come up here. For a week or two at a time, they'd dub the place "Sartin's Summer Camp" and have a blast with her grandparents. Papa and Nana would really treat it as a summer camp, offering arts and crafts and various sports and games.

Then, late at night, they'd gather around the campfire, hot dogs and smores in hand, and spin yarns that would rival even the masters of modern fiction.

This campfire ring was the birthplace of the Secret Circle and Liss absolutely loved it.

Walking over to one of the benches, she sat down. She felt a sense of calm wash over her. This place reflected only the best memories of her past and she sat there, drawing comfort from them.

She recalled everything so vividly. It was as if the ghosts of her former selves were acting out the scenes around her. These were the days she was just Liss. Not someone who had to pick up the slack, growing up too quickly. Not someone who couldn't even sleep through the night without crying out for her parents. No, this had always been a magical place and its magic always transformed her while she was in it.

Here, she just was.

Taking a deep breath, she smiled. No matter what happened here on out, she'd always have this place and the memories they offered her. She could be content with these if that's all fate allowed her.

Liss rose, looking around. Yes, there was so much good in the world and people who were actually deserving of it. She couldn't allow that to be taken away. She couldn't. If it meant she had to give her life in the process to preserve that, she would, gladly. A hundred times over if that's what it took to rid the world of the evil awakening in her town.

She walked along the campground, feeling the power of love and laughter coursing all around her. She didn't know why she hadn't made this journey sooner. Maybe if she had come here right after the incident in the bathroom, things wouldn't be so bad now.

She sighed. She couldn't dwell on actions that had already played out. All she could do was look to the future and what it meant for her.

Her cell phone vibrated in her pocket, jarring her from her thoughts. Cautiously, she took it out. Looking at the caller I.D. she sadly hit the ignore button and shoved it back into her jeans. She couldn't bring herself to talk to him. She had nothing different to tell him since the last time they talked.

She didn't know why she had feelings for Mark. It was Jerry she wanted, but obviously that answer wasn't good enough for him. His only concern was the fact she may have feelings for another guy.

Liss stopped in front of the tree next to the playground. This was a tree she knew well. Time had been spent here, sitting under its branches, leaning against its bark. This was her thinking tree. If there was something bothering her, she'd come and sit here. Her first story had been written under it. Hell, her first real kiss had been under it. This tree meant a lot in her life. She reached forward, tracing a finger over a carving in the bark. It was a simple heart with initials inside. GB+MT. So simple, yet so painful, all the same.

Drawing her hand away, she cringed at the reality of the situation. Nothing was certain. Everything could change in a heartbeat as it had so often lately. She realized she could take nothing for granted anymore. Even the very air she breathed, day in and day out, could be taken from her. From now on, she would have to fight for what she wanted.

Walking to the playground, she gave thanks for everything she did have. Everything was a precious gift, and she'd spend what was left of her life proving she was worthy.

Silently, she slipped into a swing. Pumping her legs back and forth, she turned her eyes to the blue sky above her. Murmuring softly, she offered up a prayer to the world and to the people who would no longer walk this journey with her.