Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Liss sat in the car, staring blankly out the window. She had no idea what to do. Every time she thought she was getting somewhere, she realized she didn't know a damn thing. The world was doomed and it was her fault. Wiping at the tears in her eyes, she fought the urge to scream. Maybe running away was a good idea.

The passenger door opened and Rob got in. "Are you okay?"

"No," she replied, refusing to look at him.

"You're not going to flip out again, are you?"

She turned, glaring at him.

He smiled. "Hey, I'm kidding. It's okay."

She shook her head. "No, it's not. Nothing will ever be okay again."

Rob rolled his eyes. "Okay, dramatic much."

"Face it, Robbie. We're screwed. There's nothing else we can do."

"It's going to be okay, Liss. We can't give up. We can do this."

"When did you turn into Mr. Team Spirit?"

"The same time you turned into Little Miss Rain Cloud."

"Now I know the world's going to end," Liss said, wiping fresh tears from her eyes. "You've turned into Mr. Positive."

He laughed, watching her for a moment. When the tears kept coming, he frowned. "Have you called Jerry?"

Sighing, she shook her head. "I was trying to calm down first. I don't need to worry him more."

"The guy is pretty frazzled." He looked over at Liss. "Can I have your phone?"

Sniffing, she nodded, pulling it out of her pocket.

Rob took the phone and dialed. Pushing speaker phone, he laid the cell on the dashboard.

The phone rang several times before someone picked up. "Night Oak Sheriff Station. How may I help you?"

"Hey, Jerry," he spoke to the phone.

"Thank God. What took you so long? I was beginning to worry." He paused. "Why are you calling me? Where's Liss?"

"She's here. You're on speaker phone."

"Liss?" he asked tentatively.

"Hey, Jare."

"Have you been crying?" he asked, worriedly.

She frowned; he knew her too well. "Just a little."

"What's wrong?"

She looked over at Rob and sighed. "Nothing. It's just been a long day already."

"Rob?" his voice demanded from the phone.

"She's okay. Just...the witch lady was no help. She's frustrated because she doesn't know what else to do."

"Oh," Jerry said with a sigh. "I know the feeling."

"Come on, Jare. We can't give up," Rob urged. "We're going to make it through this. There is no other choice."

"Are you feeling okay, Rob? It's not like you to be so...upbeat."

Liss laughed. "That's what I was trying to figure out."

Rob rolled his eyes. "Oh, bite me, red."

She smiled at him. "Now, see. There's our Robbie."

"Yeah. Where have you been?"

Rob sighed, but couldn't hide the grin. "Okay, you two. That'll do."

"So..." Jerry said, getting back to business. "Did you find out anything?

Rob looked over at Liss, raising his eyebrows.

She looked back at him and shook her head.

"Guys?"

"Yeah," Rob said, frowning at her. "We learned a couple of things. It seems our girl here has the power to open some kind of threshold."

She sighed, putting her head down on the steering wheel.

"What?" Jerry's voice spoke sharply from the phone. "What do you mean threshold?"

"Not real sure on that, Jare," he told him. "I just know our friendly neighborhood killer wants to open it and Liss is the key."

Jerry growled. "I don't like this," he said and then was quiet for a few seconds. "How do we even know if this is the truth? It could be another lie she's feeding us."

Rob breathed out. "I know. But the funny thing, Jerry, is I believe her. I don't know why, but I think she's telling us the truth."

"Really?"

"Yeah. She's really is some kind of psychic. She knew Ben was going to die."

"She could have said something."

"She did," Liss told him, "that day we were here. That's what had him so scared."

"Do you think she's telling the truth, Liss?"

She thought for a moment. "Yes. She spoke the truth, but she refuses to help."

"What?" he asked outraged. "She knows what's going on, yet she won't do anything about it?"

"I don't think it's that simple," Rob told him.

"Yes, it is," Liss said, glaring at him. "She could do something, but she won't. That's what it comes down to."

"No. I think she means she really can't help. Like her hands are tied or something." Rob shook his head. "I don't think we should write her off just yet."

"So what do we do now?" Jerry asked, despair in his voice.

"I think maybe we go with the flow from here," Rob said, looking over at Liss. "She said when the time was right, Liss will know what to do."

"Yeah, right. I'm flying blind here. How am I supposed to know?"

"It's okay," Rob told her. "I have faith in you."

"And you know I do," Jerry told her.

She chuckled softly. "You guys give me way too much credit. But, okay, I guess I'll have to have faith, too."

"That's my girl," Jerry said, pleased.

"Okay, so what now?" Rob asked.

"We head home," she answered him. "It beats blindly running around town."

"Can you guys hang on for a second?" Jerry asked right before the line went silent.

Rob winced. "Hopefully his dad didn't come in and find him talking to us on one of the station's lines."

"Nothing like getting him in trouble on top of everything else. Just another thing to worry about."

"Hey, I've got to go," Jerry told them, coming back on the line.

"We didn't get you in trouble, did we?" Rob asked.

"What? No, I have another call. Something weird is going down at the old church at the edge of town," he told them. "I've got to go. Call me later."

"We will," Liss promised.

"Later, Jerry. Have fun," Rob said.

"Be safe you two. Please," he told them, hanging up.

Rob looked over at Liss, a wicked grin spread across his face. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

She returned the grin. "You know I am."

"Good. Let's see what's going on."