Orion

Chapter 48:  Orion

Classes remained seemingly normal despite the big plan Rion and his friends had made. They tried to avoid the topic at all costs in normal conversation, but the issue loomed over them like an ominous cloud anyway.

They promised themselves to go through with it two days before the final, 6-hour long training session occurred, one month from now.

One thing they hadn't talked about, though, was what they would do with thing once they caught it—or at least, Rion had assumed they'd catch it. Killing an animal, even though it had attacked some of the students, didn't exactly feel right to Rion.

I'd like to shove the thing in Director Perrez's smug face once we catch it, Rion thought, the blood pounding in his ears. That way, he knew he'd have been wrong all along. And who knows? Maybe whoever was above the Director would realize how sucky of a job he's doing and replace him with someone new.

"Yeah, that would definitely be the ideal ending to this year," Rion mumbled.
Instructor Lemaster looked up from the chalkboard. "What was that, Orion? Did you say something?"
Uh oh, Rion thought. He had forgotten himself and spoke aloud.
"Er—sorry, Instructor, I was just reading the notes to myself."
The plump woman nodded, seemingly satisfied, while his classmates snickered at him. If only my friends were in this class, he thought to himself glumly. Then, at least, I'd have more fun.
His history Instructor continued, droning on about the Academy:
"Before the Commander and the Panel saw these grounds as fit use for the Academy of Genetically Gifted Students, it was previously used as a complex and extremely large bunker. Some scholars even have reason to believe that beneath the Academy exists underground tunnels and rooms for protection purposes in the event of war. "

Rion's head snapped up so fast he thought he heard his neck pop. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. All year, he and his friends had been searching for information like this. Where was Instructor Lemaster earlier when they had been asking their teachers?
Oh, yeah— Rion thought. I was the one who had forgotten to ask any of my Instructors...
He silently cursed at himself; he might have learned loads by now about the Academy if only he had remembered.

His mind drifted to the huge room Kai had shown them, hidden underneath Mr. Klick's classroom. Those scholars must be right, Rion realized with a jolt. He had a sudden wanting to open the huge, metal door that was sealed down in that room. It could lead to all the other tunnels and bunkers... he thought. But how? Kai had already tried opening it by force...

Rion sat in class for the next twenty minutes trying to concoct any ideas about opening the door while dreaming about all the cool things that might lie beyond it.
As if from afar, he heard his classroom door creak open, but he paid no mind.
"Orion Hornthaw," a voice said. It was a request, not a question.
Torn out of his thoughts by his name, he turned to see his least favorite person of all—
"Director Perrez," Instructor Lemaster began. "What a pleasure it is to have you join us. How can we be of assistance?"

Director Perrez cleared his throat and replied to the Instructor, but he didn't take his eyes off Rion. All the students in the class watched the exchange with curiosity.
Uh oh.
"I won't be staying long, unfortunately, Instructor. I just needed to fetch the boy," he said, pointing at Rion.

Instructor Lemaster flinched, as if she knew something everyone else didn't. She kept a pained smile, though, and said, "Of course, of course, sir. We were almost done with today's lesson anyway."
"Very good," the Director replied. "Come now, Orion. And do please grab your things."

Rion did what he was told, stuffing all his school things into his messenger bag. Director Perrez walked back outside the classroom, and Rion followed him, while all the other children's eyes followed the both of them. Instructor Lemaster gave him a pitying look.

This cannot be good, he thought as he stepped into the hallway.

Once outside, Rion looked defiantly at Director Perrez, but spoke politely.
"How can I help you, sir?"
The older man only sneered down at him though. "Cut the crap, boy. I know what you've been up to—running around all over campus and jumping over barbed wired fences. You've gone too far this time, and you're being sent home. We have no time for insolent rule breakers and children without gifts here."

At first, Rion was too stunned to speak. He thought he had been careful—disabling all of the cameras. But suddenly he realized his fatal mistake: the first time he had went searching for the ocean, he didn't have the camera disabler with him. In fact, the remote hadn't even existed at all. He didn't ask Annie to make it until after his first trip there.

Rion's immediate reaction was to lie and say he hadn't been doing what he was accused of, but if the Director had video tape of him, he had no hope. The older man grinned devilishly at him.

Well, Rion thought, if I'm going down, I can at least be the infuriating, gift-less child he thinks I am

So the boy simply shrugged his shoulders and said, "Okay."
The smile on the Director's face faltered—but only for a moment.
"You understand the gravity of what is happening, Orion? You can't come back, ever. You won't see your precious little friends ever again. You no longer have a chance at being important—at becoming anything other than a dumb, abandoned, and unwanted orphan."

The words felt like a gunshot, but Rion was determined not to let it show—not in front of this awful, malevolent, man.  He'd save his emotions for the plane ride back.
"Yup. You're kicking me out, I got it. When can I leave?"
Director Perrez's grin disappeared completely this time.
"You little sh—" he began, but quickly caught himself. He flattened his tie, smoothed down his hair. "Tonight. You leave tonight."

Rion kept his steel composure until he got back to his room, having been escorted by Instructor Hans. The older boy looked at him with sad eyes.
"Sorry to see you go, kid. You were one of my favorites. Director Perrez will expect to see you at the steps of the Mass Chamber at 8pm—he'll escort you to the plane," he said, closing the door behind him.

Luckily Kai wasn't in the room—rugby practice, Rion assumed.
Suddenly his friends faces—Layla, Kai, and sweet, wonderful, Andi,—materialized in front of his eyes. He knew they could capture the animal without him. He knew they all could make it to the final four. He also knew they'd be okay without him.

Orion packed for home.