Kai

Chapter 15: Kai

Josh was going to be a problem. Not a problem for Kai himself, of course. He could take him. But when Josh found out the rest of his friends were orphans...well things were going to go down. It was like a double whammy, Kai's first real friends are all orphans? Yeah, Josh would have a field day with that.
And Kai didn't know if the others could stand up against Josh like he could.
Well, Layla can for sure, she was incredible! Beautiful and persuasive? That girl is unstoppable. And to think she stood up for him! Maybe his chances with her weren't so slim.
Don't get ahead of yourself there, he warned himself. You've got plenty to worry about. Especially the fact that if Layla wouldn't have stepped in last night things could have gotten bad. Real bad.

The rubbing stone had helped some, but it couldn't suppress the anger Josh's words stirred in him. He had felt it, the blind rage creeping through his body, like hot molten lava was coursing through his blood. Thankfully Layla said some words and kicked some butt and made Josh and Marcus turn tail, but he felt on the verge of exploding. Which definitely shouldn't happen. Maybe he had some slight anger issues.
If there's a freaking airport here surely there's gotta be a hospital or something where there's a doctor I can talk to.
Suddenly Andi, Layla, and Rion plopped down next to him at their table in the Dining Hall, ripping his thoughts from him.
"What's up guys?" he asked nonchalantly, as if he definitely wasn't just thinking about his own possibility to explode.
"The breakfast is way better than yesterday's. I must have grabbed like 10 pancakes," said Rion as he began shoveling them in his mouth.
Layla looked at him in minor disgust while Andi just laughed, something she rarely did in the few days he knew her.
Kai decided they better get a move on with their day, as they had much to do.
"Okay, I laid out a game plan for us. Ben told me yesterday that the Educational Office was probably a 20 minute walk from here as long as we follow the sidewalk north."
"Sounds good to me," said Layla. "Then we can compare our class schedules and stuff."
Once the four finished breakfast, they set out for the center of the Academy, with Rion in the lead.

It didn't take them long to find the building; there was a hectic mass of kids swarming around it. About ten Instructors were standing around and shouting, trying to keep the collection of excited 12 year olds under control.
"Hey, look, it's Mr. Klick, by the front of the line," Andi pointed out.
They all looked and sure enough it was Mr. Klick, the first person they met at the Academy. Kai had a weird feeling again, like he knew the man from somewhere else, but he quickly shook it off as they got into the large line leading into the building. After what seemed to last forever, especially in the heat of the day, they made it into the air conditioned building after Mr. Klick notified them to enter.
Two elderly women wearing Academy staff uniforms sat behind a desk, while a winded Instructor Lynn stood up behind them.
"Names?" prompted the elderly ladies.
"Kai Kinsman"
"Layla DeStone"
"Andromeda Lovelace"
"Orion Hornthaw"
The two women started shouting at Instructor Lynn, giving her instructions as she disappeared behind a door in the back of the building. She returned fast, breathing hard, while pushing a cart carrying a huge load of textbooks, bags, school supplies, and uniforms. Kai genuinely felt bad for Instructor Lynn as she quickly passed them out, obviously tired. He figured she couldn't be much older than 18. With their arms thoroughly full with their school supplies and their messenger bags thrown around their shoulders, the two old women handed them their schedules and they quickly walked out the door.

"We waited in line half the day for that," complained Layla.
"Oh don't be so dramatic, it was only three hours," chided Andi, while Layla gave her an annoyed look.
Three hours is bad enough, Kai thought.
"Look, let's put all this stuff back in our barracks, except our schedules. Since we aren't allowed to hang out with each other in the barracks, we'll just have to go sit outside," Rion said.
The walk back to the barracks seemed much longer than the way there. Layla ended up dropping half her textbooks five minutes into their trek, and Kai felt it was his rightful duty to carry them.
Finally the four split at the dorms, quickly threw down all their school gear and met back outside, tearing through the envelopes that enclosed their class schedule.
"It looks like I've got all the regular classes and... oi! Study of Roman War Techniques and Wilderness Training," Kai told them, breaking the thick seal on the envelope first.
Andi went next, saying, "Research Methods in Biology & Chemistry, Technological Advances of the 1900s & On, Brain Mapping & Imaging Analysis, and Human Anatomy & Psychology."
"Sweet mother of science, Andi, that's a bunch of classes!" said Rion. "I've got Weaponry Tactics and Leadership Training."
Layla went last saying, "And I've got Psychoanalysis & Anthropology as well as Wilderness Training."
We've got a class together? Score one for Kai!
"These are definitely not your typical classes."
"We're not typical children though, are we?" Andi questioned.
No one had really anything to say to that. Luckily all four had literature together.
Rion suddenly screwed up his face. "Ugh, the sun's already beginning to go down. We forgot to even get lunch— we've been so busy and excited."
"Yeah, we should head over to the Dining Hall, but guys, did you see those uniforms? They looked like the nicest thing I've ever owned!"
All four could agree with what Kai said; it really was the best piece of clothing they ever had— even Layla. The material was light and stretchy, perfect for the Academy's weather. Boys received pants, shorts, bowties, and multiple white collared shirts while the girls got stockings, dresses, skirts, and blouses. All of the outfits had what Kai assumed to be the Academy's emblem, a strange symbol that even Andi didn't recognize. Luckily she was able to translate the words written underneath the symbol— "Scientiae Progressu. It's latin, meaning science is progress," she told the other three.
No surprise there, Kai thought.
They met back up with Annie, Darcy, and Ben at the Dining Hall, sitting at their usual spot, comparing schedules now that they all knew their classes. It turned out Andi and Annie had many of the same classes, although Andi still had one extra class than the other girl did. At this Andi looked triumphant, piling pudding onto her spoon.

They all talked well into the night, about how to find certain classrooms, what their Instructors might be like, and what the big mission at the end of their four years could be. Right before curfew they finally headed back to the barracks, anxious about starting their first day.

Like'd this chapter? Didn't like it? Any feedback/comments would be really appreciated and I'm always willing to do the same for my wonderful readers!! If you enjoyed this chapter give it a vote