Orion

Chapter 12: Orion

"Again with that Director guy, I'm not too fond of him." Rion was naturally the first to speak after the man's long talk. Chatter erupted once more all around them, the kids discussing all of what they were just told.
"I don't mind him much; he may be firm, but of course you have to be with this many twelve year olds running around," said Andi in a pompous tone, as if she wasn't twelve herself.
"I got a weird feeling that he was staring straight at us for a good amount of his speech though," muttered Kai, to which even Andi nodded her head grimly in agreement.
But Rion was too excited to be worried. "Oh, never mind that. Didn't you hear all he said? We have so much to do, even before classes start! We have to get supplies, schedules, uniforms! And explore. of course. D'ya all want to go together?" asked Rion in a tone of excitement.
"I suppose," said Andi, without much affliction.
"Me as well, but our next door mates Darcy and Annie might wanna hitch along too or look around separately, so we'll have to see," Layla informed them.

The four finished up their meal, discussing what classes they might have to take and wondering what clubs and sports the Academy offered. When everyone had finished they took their scraped-clean dishes and put them on a conveyer belt in the back of the hall to be washed. Together they walked out of the Dining Hall, pushing past the other kids eating or walking around. Once they entered the warm sunlight Layla said,
"Well, I haven't seen Annie or Darcy anywhere, so I suppose we can have a look around ourselves. We were supposed to meet for lunch actually, but I guess they must have slept in super late."
"We can't forget to be back for dinner at some point. There's curfew to worry about too," mentioned Andi.
Rion nodded, saying, "Let's get started then! I kind of want to just walk around today, and then worry about getting all our things for courses together tomorrow."
The other three nodded in agreement, and they began walking along yet another sidewalk leading away from the Dining Hall and barracks. It appeared most kids must have still been eating or were back at their rooms— they were one of the few groups that seemed to be walking around. After a short while they came across a tall building that was labeled with a sign as 'Campus Theatre'.
"Ooo," exclaimed Layla. "I used to love doing theatre back at my institution!"
No surprise, thought Rion, although Kai looked at Layla as if it was the most amazing thing he had ever heard.
Poor mate already has it bad for her... and the school year hasn't even begun.
Interested in what the theatre looked like on the inside, Andi moved to open the big wooden doors with brass handles, but they were locked.
She turned around and shrugged her shoulders, when Rion suddenly shouted, "Wow guys, can you smell that?"
The three gave him strange looks.
"Smell...what?" questioned Kai.
"The ocean of course, I can smell saltwater anywhere. We must be near the beach or something."
Bewildered, Kai replied, "I don't know Rion, I mean we're on the Academy campus. Surely there would have been some mention of an ocean at some point."
Andi looked thoughtful though as she said, "We don't really know what could be around here, could we? It's not as if they told us which sector we're in. For all we know there might be an ocean, or anything else for that matter."
Layla agreed with Andi saying, "Maybe the Academy board doesn't want students to know?"
"Whether they want the students to know or not, I know the ocean. It's my favorite thing. Laying in the hot sun, sand all around you, and then jumping in the cool salt water—nothing better. And you never know what lies in the ocean, what awesome creatures and treasures it may have."
"Sounds terrifying if you ask me," Layla remarked.
"How can you be terrified of something that you don't know?" Rion questioned them.
Andi said,"Well, it's the fact of not knowing that is daunting. Most people say they're afraid of the dark, when in fact they mean that they are afraid of what could be lurking in the dark— fear of the unknown."
"Daunting?" Kai mumbled.
"It means unnerving or intimidating," she told him.
"That's a good point I suppose," Rion replied as they all started walking down the path again, pulling away from the theatre. "Just wait though, if the ocean is nearby, I'll find it and show you guys how much fun it can be."