Orion

Chapter 39: Orion

Orion was utterly perplexed. Here they were, standing in an underground room full of weapons and telling disturbing secrets about themselves. It was like a nightmare.

Andi, somewhat returned to her natural color now, said, "We can discuss more of this later. However, other things need to be said."

She's right, he thought. We still have a lot to discuss. I need to tell them what happened at the ocean with Andi.

Suddenly all business, Rion nodded curtly. "Right." He turned to Kai, saying, "We should probably explain why we showed up to the Mass Chamber with soaking clothes."

Kai nodded. "Yeah, that'd be helpful."

"Well, Andi and I went to the beach I had found, to see if we could find any more strange fur, but alas, there was nothing."

Andi coughed. "Ahem."

Rion glanced to her, his eyes guarded. "Er—right. While we found nothing, something strange did happen." He then recited everything that had happened at the beach, mentioning the flying seaweed and all.

Layla spoke first, "And I thought we couldn't have gotten any weirder."

Now it was Kai's turn to be impressed with his friend. "That's incredible!" His face was astounded. "You had no idea you could do that?"

"Not really," the boy answered. "Something weird like that happened to me as a kid, but everyone said it was some force of nature. I just pushed it from my mind, to be honest. I didn't really want to think I had weird powers or something..." he trailed off.

The other three silently agreed. Sure, having strange talents were cool, but having no idea where you got them from...having no genetic past... it was scary. The expense was too much in Rion's mind.

He thought back to his old life, back in his home sector. He would always sit in his Institution's library and read old comics about people from other planets with crazy powers. His life had seemed so dull in comparison. He wanted something more, something that contradicted boring reality. Then suddenly he was thrusted into a world of powerful twelve year olds and a race for the most important mission known to human kind. Why the Commander and Panel were keeping the mission a secret, he didn't know.

"I should probably tell you guys something too," Layla said, before Rion could think anything more on the subject. "Yesterday, right before the alarm sounded over campus, I heard screaming again."

Andi whirled on her. "What?" She exclaimed. "Layla, you need to inform us of things like that as soon as they happen. Someone could have been in trouble or your mental health could have been compromised."

Rion knew Andi was just trying to look out for her friend, but Layla seemed to take her words the wrong way; her face turned sour.

"Well, you guys were nowhere to be found." She paused. "Besides, I had Ben with me. He took care of me."

Rion coughed loudly while Kai scoffed and gave a big huff. Layla turned on him, her eyes dangerously dark.

"Listen, Kai. You don't have to like Benjamin. Heck, you don't even have to speak to him. However, every time I mention his name I don't want you diva-sighing or rolling your eyes."

Kai's face turned red. "What—I don't diva-huff! It was a very manly huff."

Layla was not amused. "Whatever."

Sensing that the conversation was going down hill, Andi intervened. "Anyway, Layla, why do you think you heard the screaming again? Did Ben hear it too?"