Kai

Chapter 28: Kai

The icy wind nipped at his face as he walked briskly to Mr. Klick's room. He suspected that their training would be inside today, but he wasn't sure how they'd have the room to practice in such a tiny classroom.
Kai was quite sick of constantly being busy. Between rugby practices, meetings with Mr. Klick, studying for classes, and most importantly, trying to save Layla from Ben's clutches, he didn't know how he managed it all.

And don't forget about that other thing you have to deal with, Kai thought. But he pushed his dark thoughts from his mind, focusing on the task at hand.

He'd had about eight practices with Mr. Klick already, and they kept getting harder and harder. At first Kai thought he was training to get better at fighting. But then Mr. Klick whipped out a long speech about how 'being strong is only half the battle' and Kai had to trade his fists for a yoga mat. That's right. A yoga mat. At first, Kai was reluctant.

There was no way in the New Nation was he, Kai Kinsman, about to do some yoga. However, Mr. Klick said he could get on the mat or get out, so Kai sat down.

Instead of yoga though, they meditated, which might have been worse. He let out a deep sigh as he pushed open the doors of the East Side Classrooms, and walking down to Mr. Klick's, he knocked on the door. There was an agitated grunt, and then,
"Just a minute."

Great. He sounds like he's in a wonderful mood.
Kai could hear footsteps shuffling along the floor—and then the door swung open.

Mr. Klick looked rough; Kai noticed that he hadn't shaven and his eyes were baggy.

"You were almost late, Kinsman," he remarked as he stepped aside, letting Kai in.

He dropped his gear bag on the floor and said, "Fortunately though, I wasn't. Anyway, I had rugby practice."

Mr. Klick's eyes turned dark. "Don't speak in a condescending tone to me, boy. As for rugby, I heard your practice got let out even earlier than usual."

Kai tried to hide a look of surprise; he hadn't expected Mr. Klick to have known.
"There isn't much that goes on around this institution, as big as it is, that I don't know about. You'd do well to remember that."

Kai wanted to reply with a snark comment, but held his tongue. "Yes sir."

"Good. Now, as I know it is bitterly cold outside, we will simply have to work in here today." Giving a distasteful glance around the room, dusty and full of desks and chairs, he added, "This won't do, however, so I suppose I will have to show you."

Show me? Show me what? But Kai didn't voice his question, instead he just waited for the man to explain.

He didn't explain though. He merely walked to the left corner of the back of the room, lifted up a poster that read, "If you ever think about quitting, remember why you started," which revealed a gray cement block in contrast to the white wall, and pressed it.

Immediately the floor began to shift and Kai lost his balance, falling to the ground—hard. In what had been the floor in the corner of the room a few seconds ago was now a staircase of cement stairs leading down.

Just your classic push a button and wham! A hidden staircase. Should have seen it coming, Kai thought.

Despite his sarcastic attitude, Kai was exceptionally astonished. Mr. Klick saw that he was.

"Safety precautions. These in-the-ground hide outs were built in case—well, in case anything happens that would ever require them."

Kai waited for more of an explanation, but none came. He asked a question.
"When was the Academy built?"
The man waved to Kai as he descended the steps, signaling him to follow him.
"Why would a boy like you be interested in the history of the Academy?"
Kai sensed some kind of hostility.
"Just curious."
The man gave a grumble in acknowledgement, then said, "Well, this establishment, this whole place, was built before the Commander and Panel decided it was fit for the Academy for Genetically Gifted Students."

Kai listened intently, but kept his eyes averted by looking at the torches that were already eerily lit in the stairway as they continued to walk down.

"It was, I'd say, about five years ago when the Commander and the Panel demanded it be refurbished for this institution. As for how long ago this place was actually built, that information was not disclosed to me." Mr. Klick said the last part with an aggravated tone, as if it bothered him that he didn't know.

Kai wanted to ask more questions, but decided that it would only make his instructor annoyed.

Just as he thought he was handling the whole secret-hideout-inside-a-classroom thing really well, they reached flat ground and stood in a large room. On one side, a wall was covered in weapons. Many weapons. Kai took a sharp gasp as he saw crossbows, spears, javelins, swords and battle axes. He was even more surprised to see guns—all kinds of guns. He'd never touched a gun before, never even seen one in real life.

Mr. Klick watched him with precision as Kai stared at the weapons. Before Kai could ask questions, he said, "The older weapons were here by the time the Academy arrived. The guns were put in by the current staff. Again, they are just for precautionary uses. You'll come to find that students of the Academy are very... sought after. Children such as you and the other hundreds that now inhabit this place are valuable. Anyway, as I have taken you as my apprentice, the Academy Board allows me to teach you want I want."

Kai's icy blue eyes were large; he looked like a child as he asked, "You mean...I'll learn how to shoot a gun?"

Mr. Klick gave him a grim smile. "Dear boy, you will learn how to use all of the weapons in this room."

Kai didn't know what to say to that. He felt, for once, afraid. He felt his age, a boy of twelve. He tried to swallow his initial surprise of the weapons, turning to assess the remainder of the gigantic room.

Next to the weapons was, what Kai assumed to be, a one-lane shooting range. On the opposite side were punching bags and other equipment for physical training. There were also numerous large barrels of water and crates listed as 'rations'. What on earth? Kai thought to himself.

Lastly, on the left, was a strangely large metal door.
"What's that door lead to?"
Mr. Klick followed Kai's gaze. "Nothing. Even I have not entered it."

For some reason, Mr. Klick's unhelpful and seemingly untruthful response set something off in Kai: he could feel his inner body temperature rising, his head beginning to buzz. He was tired of never getting answers. There was no answer as to what the government wanted from him, or what their mission might be. There was no answer as to why Layla liked Ben and not him.

I mean, honestly, what does she even see in him?

And there was certainly no answer as to who his parents were and why they never wanted him. The only reason he could think of was that he wasn't good enough.

But what kind of people take one look at their child and decide they weren't good enough?
Kai thought, full of sadness and anger.

He stuck his hand in his pocket, rubbing his stone viciously as he tried to calm himself down. Mr. Klick missed nothing though.

"You'll need to learn to keep yourself under control. Especially if you are to hold any of these weapons in your hands," inclining his head to the wall.

Kai was astounded. How does he know?

"I suggest you consider visiting your.... helpers on the other side of campus more often. Once a week is not enough."

Helpers...on the other side of campus? He can't mean...

"I know where you sneak off to, Kinsman. Rion almost caught you, the day of your first session in the Training Center. You best be more careful if you choose to lie to them."

Kai stared at him, lost for words. His anger subsided so quickly he wasn't sure if it had ever happened.

Mr. Klick met his eyes as he said, "I told you, boy. There is not much that goes on here that I don't know about."

//
Like'd this chapter? Didn't like it? Any feedback/comments would be really appreciated and I'm always willing to do the same for my wonderful readers!! If you enjoyed this chapter give it a vote