Orion

Chapter 35: Orion

The boys were in their room, Kai sitting on his bed unwrapping gauze from his fingertips. Rion noticed that they were still pink and inflamed, but definitely better than before.

And thank goodness for that. The Crimson Glories need Kai more than ever.

Kai looked at his watch suddenly and let out a yelp of surprise.

"It's three already? I have—er, a tutoring session. "

By now Rion could easily tell the difference between Kai's truth and lies. Whatever it was Kai was late for, it certainly was not tutoring. As usual, Rion didn't press his room mate into telling him where he really was headed. Although he was worried about his friend, Rion didn't want to pressure him in any way. Whatever Kai was hiding, he'd have to wait to find out.

Just as Kai moved to open their door, Layla and Andi rushed in, pushing him to the side and slamming the door shut.

"What the—" Kai began, but Layla cut him off.

"We have news, okay? Andi and I both have been doing some research."

Rion gulped inwardly.

He had completely forgotten that the four of them were supposed to be digging up information about the Academy and Director Perrez. Glancing at Kai, he saw by his friend's bewildered expression that he had forgotten as well.

Not missing a thing, Andi said, "Seeing as you both forgot, you can at least listen to what we discovered."

"Fair enough," Rion said, although Kai looked anxious as he mumbled,

"You do realize that you girls being in the boys barracks can get us all in trouble, right?

Layla rolled her eyes, while Andi just stared at him as if to say, Of course, I realized that. Have you forgotten who you're talking to?

Layla said, "We're well aware, Kai. However, this is important."

He sighed. "Okay, just be quick about it please."

Rion noticed Andi raise an eyebrow, but she said nothing about Kai's urgent tone.

Layla didn't seem to notice. She said, "My news isn't as interesting as Andi's, but it should still help us. I stayed after mathematics class today and was asking Instructor Dresden about the Academy's perimeters and she told me something strange. To the East lays the ocean," motioning her hand in Rion's direction. "But to the West she said were the 'hills of tan,' whatever the heck that means."

"Hills of tan?" Kai echoed. "What in the bloody New Nation is that supposed to mean?"

Andi shook her head, saying, "I've already pondered it, and I'm not sure."

"Well, we have to check it out of course!" Rion exclaimed.

Kai scowled. "I hardly have time to even eat nowadays, I'm so busy. I don't know when I'll be able to go check it out with you guys."

Rion then realized something about Kai—he was a very extreme person. He felt in extremes; when Kai was happy, he was funny and witty, but when he was cranky or angry...well, he turned dark and solemn.

"Not to mention, we'd have to find away over the fence again. And not all of us are quite as skilled at climbing as you, Rion," Layla added.

Andi said, "Clearly, we'll be breaking the rules. I know we're all engaged with other activities,"—she glanced momentarily at Kai—"but with the absurd fur we've been finding, the screaming Layla hears, and not knowing where we are, I think it's time for some elucidations."