Birthday

Blaine kept me company for the rest of the evening. The conversations changed courses. He was making me laugh with his corny come ons, I actually had fun. Something I haven’t done in a long time. “You have such a beautiful smile. I am honored that you have graced me with it. You know what will only enhance it?” He reached across the table, grabbed my hand, and laid small kisses across my knuckles.

“What?” I giggled as I took another sip of my lemonade. I felt his foot caress my ankle. Over our short time together, he has become more blatant in showing physical affection. Honestly, it feels good knowing that I am able to attract someone. A spark ignites inside of me as I feel like I’ve finally blossomed into a woman.

“Your smile would look more beautiful under the moonlight. Laying down on my silk sheets looking up at me as I make love to you.” I nearly choked on my drink and eventually smiled. That thought sounded awfully nice. It was adorable how his face turned red as he came on to me. Blaine’s blush traveled from his face down to his neck and it was the most sweetest thing.

I am suddenly reminded of Marcus. His actions tonight reminded me of Marcus. From the corny jokes to the subtle flirtation and touching reminded me of my one and only love. Some part of me feels as if I betraying him but it’s been two years. Two years since the loss of him, two years of mourning after a man that I never thought could actually love me. Two years since I actually celebrated my birthday.

“What are you thinking about?” It was too late that I realized Blaine had moved from the other side of the booth and sat down next to me with his arm thrown over my shoulder.

“Just thinking about my birthday.” I sat there looking down at the table as my fingers diddled with the used napkin.

“Oh, really? When is it?” He pulled me closer into him and I inhaled his sweet woodsy scent.

“It’s uh today actually,” I murmured. “I’m 21 today.”

“Well happy birthday babe! Why didn’t you tell me?” I shrugged my shoulders and kept looking down at the napkin. “Cassie? Why are you celebrating alone?” Blaine was watching me carefully and he looked worried.

“Because I have no one else.” He must have sensed that I didn’t want to go on with the topic anymore so he changed it.

“Well, you have me! Come on, I have a gift for you.” He winked and kissed me on my neck before paying for our dinners and leading us back out of the bar.

“Happy Birthday to me.” I whispered knowing how great this ‘gift’ will be.