Goodbye

Two years later…

“Happy Birthday!” the screen of the ATM glared at me as I took out two twenty dollar bills. It was as if it was mocking me. Wishing me a happy birthday when I know there is no reason to be happy. Ignoring the slight pain in my chest, I slid my card and money into my wallet and pulled out of the parking lot.

The heavy rain fit my mood perfectly. I turned on the radio as I came back into my hometown. Nothing interested me. All that was playing was Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and Nicki Minaj. Turning the radio back off, I hummed the sweet song my love used to sing to me.

It got harder to sing and my got so blurry that I had to pull over to the side of the road to wipe my eyes. The pain in my chest drives me insane and I just wished that God had taken me instead of Marcus. It just seemed like a real injustice. I had nothing to live for. I come from a broken home and Marcus had everything. From money to loving parents, friends, and a life. Now all of that is gone. Half of the town mourned his death. If it was me, no one would miss me. The world would have been better off.

The floral shop was in walking distance from the burial site. How ironic.

I pull into the parking lot and immediately opened my umbrella. It looked as if the weather was getting worse. Trudging through the muddy grass, I opened the doors and sat my umbrella in the corner and started to look around.

After twenty minutes of deciding, I picked out a single red rose, a single black rose, and a single white rose. It was the perfect combination to sum up my love and loss of Marcus. The rain has gotten even worse. It has gotten to the point that it’s raining sideways and almost flips me umbrella inside out. A part of me wants to hold off until tomorrow but I know that if I do wait, it will prolong my pain and heartache of saying goodbye.

I paused to take deep breaths and got myself together.

His burial site was right in the middle of the graveyard. His grave has been kept up to date in the past two years. Once I am close enough, I see that his family has already come by. I could tell by the fresh flowers, cards, and his senior class portrait in a new frame. He was extremely loved, even in death.

I got down on my knees so I can look at the picture. “I don’t know how to say this. I am actually afraid to go through with it. Because if I do, I have nothing else to hold onto. But at the same time, I can try and move on with my life. These past two years without you has been so bad. But if I do this, maybe I’ll move on and try to be happy in life. Goodbye Marcus.” I set the flowers on his grave and kissed his picture. Red for love, White for reverence, and Black for farewell. “I know that you would want me to find someone else to love but I can’t. No one can ever take your place in my heart. Just wait for me in heaven.” My tears molded with the pouring rain. I sat there for at least another five minutes crying out all my love. Saying one last goodbye, I get up and walk back to my car.

It’s finally done.