chapter 18: Nine months of pregnancy

I can't wait for the baby to be here! I just want to hold him and never let him go. The room is already ready for him, all painted in a beautiful baby blue color with stuffed animals like elephants, lions, monkeys, cats and dogs, games, everything. It's so beautiful! I hope Jamel will like it. I also had a lot of clothes ready for him. I was sure that there wasn't anything missing and that he would always get what he wants.

"How are you feeling today?" My sister said while she was entering into my room. She was doing it every morning; she was making sure I was okay when my mother was at work. I was glad she was there and that she was supportive. I couldn't have asked for a better sister.

"I'm fine, just tired... I can't wait for the baby to be there..." I said with a small smile on my lips, while my hands were making small circles on my belly. I could feel him move and kick very often now and I knew that it wouldn't be long before I could take him into my arms.

"Well, the breakfast is ready so you should come and eat something!" She exclaimed; her eyes were shining showing that she was truly happy despite all the problems we had with our father. I nodded and she left the room.

I put on a baggy pant and a large T-shirt before combing my hair and I went downstairs carefully, making sure not to fall down the stairs. Yasmine made pancakes with syrup and berries, yummy! These were some of my favorites and I could eat tons of them without getting bored.

"Thank you so much, it's one of my favorite meals!" I said with an enormous smile on my face. She was doing so many things to make me happy; I'm so lucky to have her.

"You're welcome, baby brother. Now, eat!" She said, giving me a plate full of pancakes before kissing my cheek gently. Before leaving the room, she gently rubbed my stomach before giving me a smile full of love.

I ate happily while my sister was making the laundry. She was helping my mother a lot, especially since my father left us because of me. But they never blamed me. Never. I was feeling a little guilty that I couldn't help them more around the house but they both told me that I had to rest and take care of myself while I was waiting for the baby to arrive. Once I was done eating, I put my dishes in the sink and I went back in my bedroom as every day. Since I stopped school, I'm doing nothing except sleeping, eating and watching TV. I'm not going outside because I hate the way people look at me. I'll have to find a job once the baby will be there; I can't stay here all my life. But, for now, I tried to enjoy these moments of peace as much as I could.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep; ignoring the small kicks I was feeling in my stomach. I was suddenly woken up by a wide pain in my stomach; I've never felt something like that before. It's as if I was dying slowly and painfully. It was almost as if I was burning alive, kind of.

"Oh my god..." I groaned, holding my stomach. "YASMIIINE!" I shouted as strong as I could, tears were forming in my eyes from all this pain.

She ran into my room, slamming the door on her way. She looked completely panicked. "What's happening? Are you... Oh god... It wasn't supposed to happen now! You were supposed to give birth in 3 weeks!" She shouted, not knowing what to do.

"Just do something, please... It hurts so much..." I pleaded, tears falling freely on my cheeks. I couldn't stop crying, it hurt too much. I never thought the pain would be this big.

She nodded and helped me to get up, holding me tightly.

"Walk slowly... Great. You will be fine, I promise..." She whispered more to herself than for me. She was trying to stay calm and help me as much as possible which I was thankful for.

She helped me to get in the car and began to drive. At the stop, she took her new phone and dialed our mother's number.

"Mum? Yeah, it's me, Yasmine! I'm on my way to the hospital right now... No, nobody is hurt don't worry about that but... It's Mika... He's going to give birth... Please, come as quick as you can... I'm going to call the doctor now. Everything has to be ready or he's going to die... He fucking can't give birth, you know that!" She said, before ending the conversation and calling the doctor as she began to drive, using only one of her hands.

"Be careful Yasmine, please..." I pleaded, holding my stomach. I had a bad feeling about this. She was paying more attention to her conversation on the phone than on the road and I didn't like it. This wasn't going to end well; I knew it.

She ignored my comment, but instead she began to speak to the doctor. "Hello! I'm calling you because my brother is going to give birth. Yes, I know it's a few weeks early but the work already began! We are in the car right now... Okay... Thank you. We should be here in about ten minutes... Yeah... Thank you doctor. Bye." She said before shutting off her phone and putting it in her dark red bag.

"YASMINE BE CARE...." I began to shout but sadly I didn't have time to finish my sentence.

While Yasmine was putting her phone in her bag, she didn't see the car coming in front of us. The impact blew the windows making the glass fly everywhere. I closed my eyes and tried to protect my stomach but my whole body hurt, I could feel blood on my cheeks. Some people were screaming but I was barely conscious. I opened one of my eyes and tried to ignore the black spots I was seeing without any success.

I saw a big and tall man who was helping my sister, she was covered with blood but she seemed fine. At least, I hoped that she was. Maybe because the blood wasn't from her, it was my blood. The black spots were bigger and bigger and the last thing I saw was a pool of blood under me. That's when I lost consciousness...