Chapter 31

After breakfast we went out to get to work. Josh, Shawn and Cory had decided that they were going to try a smaller community here, in the middle of the way from Danvar to the nearest town. It would make it easier to go on runs and to avoid herds. Today we were going to try to activate some solar panels Cory and Topanga had found a couple of weeks ago. I was not allowed to work for Shawn and Josh but Riley had already promised that I would get to help her clean some of the guns.

Josh held my hand as we walked over to the others. Riley and Farkle both smiled when they saw our linked hands. Cory and Shawn however didn't really know how to react I think. Both of them wanting me and Josh to be happy but still, I guess seeing the girl they saw as a daughter with a boy would always be hard for them.

"Hey Josh, ready to work?" Cory asked and held up a hammer. Josh nodded and took the hammer from his brother. Josh turned around to look at me. I crossed my arms, not completely comfortable with leaving him.

"I'll be back soon, are you going to be okay?"He asked, looking down on me. I nodded before going up on my toes to kiss him on his cheek. I could feel him smirking just before he turned his head so that our lips touched. Our quick and in my opinion very innocent kiss was interrupted by no other than Shawn as he grabbed Josh's neck and pushed him over to Cory.

"Don't rub it in my face boy. You may be my family but that doesn't really keep my father instinct from wanting to kick your ass." Shawn said making Josh chuckle. Still holding Josh's collar, Shawn and Cory literally dragged him away from me. The sight was quite entertaining.

"See you later Maya!" Josh shouted, making both me and Riley laugh.

"See ya!" I shouted back to him before turning around to Riley.

"So, what are we doing today?" I asked Riley. She had one hand on her waist and the other one linked to Farkle's arm.

"Well, since you aren't able to do any physical work right now you are supposed to be in bed but since I know you, that won't end well so you will help me to clean the guns while Farkle works with Josh and my dad." Riley answered. I smiled at how well she knew me. I couldn't stand just laying in bed while the others worked.

"Well, I guess I should get going." Farkle said before walking away in a hurry to catch up with the others. Riley looked like she was dreaming while looking at him go. She had completely fallen for that boy.

"So, you and Farkle?" I asked, Riley blushed before looking up at me, taking my hand and walking down the dirty road.

"You and Josh?" She asked, trying to change the subject. I laughed.

"I asked first." I said and rested against my friend. I seriously needed to build up these muscles again.

"I think I love him Maya." She said. I squealed of excitement. My best friends together were a thing I could just wish for.

"Sooo... What did you do to him? He changed back to his old self in just a night" She continued. I just shrugged, blushing a little thinking back on the previous night.

"I don't know. I think he just needed me." I said, not going to lose Josh's trust by telling his niece.

"Well, whatever you did, thank you. You did something in a couple of hours that neither my dad or I could do in multiple weeks." She said. She sounded so happy. No matter what we went through she seemed to always find a way back to her goofy old self. I envied her that, I lost the girl I was a long time ago.

My thoughts were interrupted by growlers growling and walking just outside the fences. Riley jumped over the sound and my hands instinctively grabbed the gun I had in my belt. Riley sighed. No matter how safe we was or felt, some reflexes never went away. We continued our walk in silence, listening to the sounds of the forest next to us and the growlers that were fighting to get in.

"Do you think that, you know, the old world is ever going to come back? That this nightmare will end?" Riley asked suddenly. I looked at her as she walked with her eyes on the ground. I hugged her hand in mine.

"I don't know Riles, I hope so..."