Chapter 15

We had been driving for an hour when we got to an abandoned town. Riley told me that Josh didn't like that they went on runs here since a lot of herds usually passed but Riley usually didn't care. The town was still full of supplies. We jumped out of the car and got our guns. We paired up two and two, Riley and me, Farkle and Lucas. That way we could check the houses a lot faster. I walked in front of Riley, holding my gun up in front of me. The adrenaline was pulsing through my body, a feeling I was used to. It was hard to live in a community again, surrounded by people. This was who I had made myself. The person I am now is the person I have gotten used to.

I walked over to the other side of the road, to a big white house, one of those houses you see in the movies where you know everyone in it is going to get a happy ending. It was not why I chose it but maybe that is what caught my attention. It looked pretty untouched so hopefully we could find some food inside. Riley knocked on the door and then put her ear against it, listening for anything that could mean someone or something was moving in there. She shook her head and opened the door slowly. I walked inside, the place was covered in a little sheet of dust but that was understandable. I checked all the rooms on the lower floor while Riley got upstairs. No growlers down here thankfully.

I got up to see if Riley had found anything. I didn't hear anything from her so I checked all the room except the last one. I opened the door and was met with the sight of Riley, sitting down on the floor, staring into a crib. Oh god.

"Riles?" I said, trying to get a reaction from her. She nodded.

"So. Small." She whispered, still staring at the crib. I looked down the crib, a little infant that had turned into a growler. It was so little, now trying to get a bite of me even though it hadn't even started to walk or developed any teeth yet. I took out my knife and was about to pierce it through the growlers head when I stopped, the child looked like Penelope. I looked at it for a moment. Penelope is never going to end up like this I thought as I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and let my knife sunk down into the growlers skull. I turned around now concentrating on Riley. I didn't want to look at it anymore. Riley shook her head and looked at me.

"It didn't even have a mark, it hadn't gotten bitten and they just left it here to die." She said tiredly. I took her hand and pulled her up from the floor. This world is a cold place.

"Riles, the only thing that matters is that we never will do it, we can't save everyone but we can do our best." I said and hugged my best friend. She nodded into my shoulder. She shook her body and looked at me again.

"Well we can start with seeing what those people left here." Riley said with a weak smile, she turned around and started to walk out of the nursery. I followed her, focusing my eyes at her dark curls. We checked the cabinets and found five cans of beans. The only thing people left was always beans. Well, I understand them, it's not the best or at least it wasn't. I checked some shelves in the bathroom and found some Tylenol, we could probably use that for someone. I packed it down my backpack and got out of the bathroom.

"Finding anything more?" I asked as Riley packed some more cans into her own backpack.

"No, I think that was it." She said and held up her now filled bag. She looked excited.

"What?" I asked.

"Maya, I found some chocolate pudding!" She squealed.

"Are you serious?" I asked, she can't lie about this. I haven't tasted anything that even resembled chocolate lately. Riley took up a can that she had hidden behind one of the counters. There the big award was, chocolate pudding.

"Oh my god!" I shouted and jumped up and down. Riley nodded her head and jumped with me. Our little dance was interrupted by some strange noises coming from outside. I looked out the window. I was met by the eyes of forty growlers staring back at me.