Chapter 7

"Are you alive?" I know that voice. Am I dreaming? I have been hallucinating before. I sat down on the ground and tried to get a hold of reality. I didn't want to see. What if I was wrong? I heard the person walk up behind me. I closed my eyes. A hand lifted my face into the light.

"It is you!" The voice shouted. I shook my head. This isn't reality. I heard the person sit down next to me on the cold ground. I started crying. Why is this happening?

"You aren't real! You died, I couldn't save you!" I screamed.

"Open your eyes Maya..." The voice whispered softly. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes, my blue orbs met with another pair of blue eyes.

"Josh?" I whispered and touched his cheek. He was real. He has to be.

"Sarah? Am I hallucinating?" I shouted to Sarah. I looked at her. She shook her head. I'm not hallucinating. The emotions running through my body was too much for me to handle. I passed out on the ground.

* * *

I woke up slowly and tried to understand what have happened. I moved my arm slowly and immediately felt the grip of another hand. It was a soft hand. I opened my eyes slowly to let them adjust to the light. In front of me was no other than my best friend Riley Matthews. She held my hand, she had tears in her eyes.

"Peaches?" She whispered. I nodded. She smiled like crazy, with tears streaming down her face.

"Riles?" I whispered. My voice cracked by the tears. She nodded and hugged me. I pulled her closer to me. She then backed away.

"How are you alive?" She squealed.

"I should ask the same to you. Is my mom alive?" Riley's face darkened. She shook her head slowly.

"I'm sorry Maya, she died in childbirth a month ago." Riley whispered. I nodded. Of course she died. The door opened and someone came inside. I stared at the ceiling, the white wood fascinated me. Riley hugged me tightly.

"I will be right back Peaches." She said, kissed my forehead and then walked out of the room. Someone else took her place. I turned my head. It was Josh. He had his head put down in his hands. The dust that shimmered from the sun around him made it even more unbelievable that he was here. I ran my fingers through his hair and he looked up at me. His eyes were red from tears.

"Why?" He whispered. I didn't understand what he was talking about. He took my hand and stroked my blond hair out of my face. I just looked at him.

"Why did you leave us? You basically threw yourself into that herd and now you show up here alive? Why did you leave me?" He whispered with pain in his voice. A tear rolled down his cheek. I wiped it away with my finger.

"Because it was my fault..." I whispered. He looked at me confused.

"A-Auggie died because of me." I whispered and turned my head away from his. He didn't let go of my hand. He only hugged it tighter.

"If I hadn't taken so much time, you all were focused on me instead of him. It's my fault Josh." I whispered. He sat down on my bed and turned my head so that I faced him again. He was crying.

"It's not your fault Maya. Nothing is your fault." He said and pulled me into his chest. Suddenly I felt safe.